Getting engine data on HSS Live

On my previous boat (I was the 2nd owner), I was able to see engine data (trim, rpm, etc) on my HDS Live units.

I had a Merf Monitor Level 1 gauge - and I thought that was just hooked to the NMEA network. Maybe I was wrong.

I ordered a new boat and want to make sure I can see the data on my graphs again. I ordered the Merc Monitor gauge again, but I ordered the boat with no graphs. I'll add those myself.

Do I also need Vessel View Link? Or can I just attach the Merc Monitor to the NMEA network and get what I need?

2. Member
    NMEA network and Mercmonitor is all you need

3. Member
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Actually I believe you need the vesselview to display data on Lowrance. Other brands may not but I believe Lowrance does.

yes you will need a Junction Box and vessel view link

7. Member
    So.. two different answers..

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    So.. two different answers..
    Yup but only one is correct. Mercmonitor does not speak Lowrance language. Vesselview does.

if you want this on your hds live you will need both from my last post

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Yup but only one is correct. Mercmonitor does not speak Lowrance language. Vesselview does.
    I looked at this video:

On my previous boat, I had engine data on my HDS Live. However, I didn't have any of these "Vessel View" screens (the Mercury or Vessel Control tabs on the left).

I'm not saying there wasn't a Vessel View link shoved up under the dash somewhere that I never knew about, but I certainly didn't have any additional screens because of it.

A previous BBCBoards post says:

Mercury motors speak Smartcraft and your Lowrance units speak NMEA. You need a translator (aka Gateway) in order for motor information to be displayed on your Lowrance. A level 1 Mercmonitor is a translator or there is a Gateway stick available too.

11. Member
    Level 1 Mercmonitor is a gateway between Smartcraft and NMEA. Either VesselView OR Mercmonitor. Don’t need both

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Level 1 Mercmonitor is a gateway between Smartcraft and NMEA. Either VesselView OR Mercmonitor. Don’t need both

NoCAL
    This is correct.

If you have the smart craft gauges (Which is different than the mercmonitor gauge) you will need a Gateway or VesselView Link. If you have the MercMonitor level 1 or higher (Higher level gives you more information) that acts as a gateway and has NMEA on it and you can hook it up to the network.

This is my understanding of it from my research as I plan to hook my MerMonitor in my new ZV21 up to the NMEA network. I don't care much about a lot of the data from it, but I want to be able to utilize my Lowrance Fuel Data Manager on the link for Fuel for tournaments and long runs.
    NPAA #803

Heres a good thread.
    Apparently my mercmonitor did not have Nmea and required a vesselview link. Confusing.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=894952

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post

NoCAL
    This is correct.........I have a Mercmonitor with NMEA and Lowrance units, and I can display ALL the DATA on the Lowrance