Thread: 619/719 vs 721

619/719 vs 721

I have been doing a ton of research and in no rush right now , prob look to purchase something in the winter sometime … I’m almost 98.999% sure I want to go with a Phoenix for my first bass boat that’s actually mine… like mentioned in other posts when I was asking I have been around then and fished out of a Triton most of my life.

Main question is I will be fishing lakes in the southeast main ones in that 50-70k acre size, and when the weather pops up and gets nasty it can get a little rough (not like you guys up
    north by any means )… but would any of you that have been in both recommend the 619/719 or the 721?? Occasionally will be on the river too but was just curious about maneuverability in the 721 Vs the 19 and if the ride of it does get rough is that much better in the 721?

thanks again !!

2. Member
    All the Phoenix's have great rides. They're is no substitute for length in rough water. Even a 21 or 22 footer isn't big enough some water. Maneuverability isn't an issue. IMO! However I would have smaller boat for smaller water if it has trees or stumps plus ease of hauling.
    Last edited by BroWhoop; 06-20-2022 at 07:28 AM.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

3. Member
    I had a 721 and now have an 819, great ride in both. Running in rough water has as much to do with seat time as it does with the boat, but you cannot beat the ride in a bird.

If this is your first bass boat, I would recommend a lower horsepower, and learn to drive it. A 721 is a great boat, but I would not recommend it as a first bass boat, it is a rocket. Safety first my friend. Fishing out of a boat and driving it are two different things. I started with a 90 on my first one, went to a Z7 with a 175 for 4 years, then to a 721. The lower horsepower let me learn, and get the crap scared out of me a few times.

Good luck on your decision.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

4. Member
    Def good advice , I appreciate it ! Don’t the 19s come with 200s? Been hearing about the ride which is why I wanna go that route if I can find a good used one, like I said the lakes here are in the 50-70k acre range so when these pop up storms hit it can get what some would call rough but being I will also be in the river the 19 should work perfect … Whatever I get I’m know it’s gonna be diff and the seat time is crucial but I’ll baby it and take baby steps before I let it loose for sure , I respect the machines and water too much to get crazy right off

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ed View Post
    I had a 721 and now have an 819, great ride in both. Running in rough water has as much to do with seat time as it does with the boat, but you cannot beat the ride in a bird.

If this is your first bass boat, I would recommend a lower horsepower, and learn to drive it. A 721 is a great boat, but I would not recommend it as a first bass boat, it is a rocket. Safety first my friend. Fishing out of a boat and driving it are two different things. I started with a 90 on my first one, went to a Z7 with a 175 for 4 years, then to a 721. The lower horsepower let me learn, and get the crap scared out of me a few times.

Good luck on your decision.
    Just because a boat is fast doesn't mean it needs to be driven that way. Suggesting to buy with less HP is bad advice specially when it comes time to sell.

6. Member
    Very tru , and like I said I don’t plan to go wild with it until I’m comfortable for sure and prob won’t ever go wild regardless haha, iv driven the triton a good bit this will just be my first one that I’m fully responsible for is I guess a better way of putting it…. Iv def driven em before but will my first one loading and unloading and all that jazz… I think like you said if the 721 ride is that much better I’d rather have it and grow comfortable in it, I def realize it’s a diff animal than the 150… also seems like the 721s are relatively priced pretty good I mean the 920 and even 819s seem just as much if not more

I purchased the 919 for a number of reasons and for me it made the most sense. I pull a boat a lot and it’s easier on my truck. I have limited garage space and with the engine down and swing away tongue it’ll fit in my garage. It comes with a 225 and will run with any model Phoenix made. My lakes are 40,000 acres or less….the only real downside will be space during BFLs and other tournaments I may have a co angler.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Just because a boat is fast doesn't mean it needs to be driven that way. Suggesting to buy with less HP is bad advice specially when it comes time to sell.
    He meant the smaller boats with less horsepower.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    It seems like from what i have seen is the 721 seems like the same price or even maybe less than some of the 919 or 920s iv seen , maybe it’s not a fair comparison some 721s may be a year or so older

Its been said that the 721 is one of the best values in bass boats, i love mine!

11. Member
    I love my 721. Glad I have it when I'm up north on the SLR/Lake Ontario and it's a must at home (Lake of the Ozarks). Fits my needs and does it at a good price. *good being subjective to how you want to look at the price of everything in this world lol*

12. Member
    My 721 does great on big lakes like Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Not what I said. Smaller boat with matched motor is a great way to learn to drive. Starting as a newbie with a 721/250 is a recipe for disaster. The 819/200 is also a mini rocket the the 4 stroke. And no you do not have to drive fast everytime, but if the weather kicks up and I want to out run it, I am hauling butt.

To the OP, find someone with either boat and get a ride in one.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

I went from a 2004 Triton Tr-20 to a Phoenix 721. I thought my Triton was an awesome ride in rough water, but it felt a little clumsy and large running narrow winding creeks in the river. My 721 is the best of both worlds. It’s better than my Triton in rough water and is nimble handling in the narrow winding creeks. It feels like a 21 footer when I need it and also an 18 footer when I need it. Yes, it will run. But, the amazing thing to me is I can drop my hydraulic jackplate down and stay on plane as slow as 20 MPH. It’s great to be able to run creeks that usually only small skiffs run.