TM1 Gearcase damage

I had an unfortunate encounter with a shoal out on the river this afternoon and took a fat chunk out of my skeg. Definitely sucks considering this was a practically brand new TM1 when I bolted it up last fall, still under 100 hours on it in total. Upon preliminary inspection, the propshaft looks perfectly straight and everything seems to function normally internally. Actually quite impressed with how this unit took the impact. What are my options here? Assuming everything checks out can I just continue to run it as is? Is repair of the skeg an option or should I start looking for a used clean case to swap internals over assuming everything else is undamaged? Thanks for any advice

FYI this lower unit is bolted to a 225 efi 0T467078 on a gambler intimidator 2000

IMG_0449.jpgIMG_0448.jpg

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to measure the propshaft runout correctly with a dial indicator.

Correct repair method is to replace the housing (note that this DOES require the gearcase be completely re-shimmed during assembly into the new case).

Not an area I would take chances on give that hull.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you Don. I will look around for a replacement housing

4. Member
    Hey Don, I've got a gentleman offering a TM1 that needs a rebuild off an early 2000s ProXB that has the funky two piece driveshaft. Would I be able to swap the driveshaft and all of the internals from my newer TM1 over into that case or are there any differences in those early model cases that would prohibit that? Thanks

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While this could be done, I would recommend going with a late-style Gen-1 housing. The machining was a bit more precise- and it's vent has been relocated.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor