Thread: New Expride B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Expride B

Is it fair to say that the new Expride B rods are more rigid than the Expride A? Seen a few reports to this effect, but maybe it depends on the models? I ordered the 7’ 2” ML Expride B spinning rod, and I think I may have just found the best medium power spinning rod made, I ordered another one! So I’m still in the market for a good ML, haha. This said, I don’t have an Expride A spinning rod, so no basis for comparison. I have several of the Expride A casting rods and the actions are perfect, which makes me hesitate to order the Expride B if they are stiffer.

Following. Where did you find the B rods in stock?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Following. Where did you find the B rods in stock?
    Tacklewarehouse

4. Member
    It all depends on the specific model I think. I have the 73xh,711xh, 72h and the 8xxh. All of them are significantly stiffer than the previous models imo. I don't think that's a good thing either. So far I've already broke the 711xh just handling it out of the tube and the 73xh just yesterday on a hook set. They seem too stiff and brittle to me. Maybe no more pre-orders for a while for me.
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

5. Member
    I have to say, I handled the infamous 6'10 medium casting expride B at shows this winter, and I would never throw jerks on that rod. Too fast and too stiff. Never handled the A, but I have to imagine it was much different.

6. Member
    Ya, like I said, the new Expride B 7'2" ML is actually an awesome Medium power rod, I had to buy a second, just have to ignore the label. Also, I handled the redesigned G-Loomis NRX+ 872s spinning rod which now incorporates the Shimano Hi-Power X Technology used on Expride rods. Anyway, this particular rod has had the reputation of the "greatest spinning rod of all time". However, this new 872s in my hands seems to be approaching a MH blank, and not much flex in the tip. The actions of new redesigned rods by Shimano appear to be different, and not in a good way from how I like to fish.

On the plus side, I have been picking up the new redesigned St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass which is in the same price range as the Expride. This rod is a huge improvement over the previous generation LTB. Great balance, light, sensitive, comfortable.....plus a 15 year warranty that pretty much blows everyone else away.....American made, which kind of blows my mind. I think my future rod purchases are going to lean more toward St Croix LTB.

7. Member
    I picked up the 610MH Expride B and they are definitely stifferent.

I sold it for exactly what I picked it up for within a week.

8. Member
    The Expride A 6'10" med is great jerkbait and topwater rod.
    I haven't heard anything about the B model but I hope they didn't change the action. Don't know because I haven't seen one in person.
    The Poison adrena 6'10" med is stiffer than the 6'10" med expride A model.
    I use the poison adrena for deeper jerkbaits and T-rigs.
    I wouldn't even dream of throwing a T-rig on the 6'10" med expride A- the rod is just too soft for a good hookset.

9. Member
    So far my observations on the 2 I managed to pick up -

The A and B 610ML spinning has just about the exact same taper.

The B 72ML casting definitely has a lighter tip and slightly lighter backbone than the A.

10. Member
    I wonder if the 7’6 MH would still be a good “do it all” rod…

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    I wonder if the 7’6 MH would still be a good “do it all” rod…
    I was wondering this too. The 7’6 MH Expride A is one of my favorite rods. I’m almost hesitant to even buy the B since I like the older A so much…

12. Member
    Yes, they are, at least in all the models I have fished, ie the 7'2" ML, the 7'2" MH and the 7'M. I think the Bs are nice sticks (really like the new handle), but unfortunately Shimano changed the blank characteristics of the new model and the "thing" that made the Expride As special is gone (IMHO). I sold all my Bs, kept my existing As and moved on to another rod manufacturer.

13. Member
    Has anyone tried the New 6”10 Med Hvy ?
    Also the 7”2 Med Hvy and 7”2 Hvy
    ive heard they are lighter and a bit more sensitive because of the new reel seat….
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

14. Member
    I have the 7’2 MH and I’m very impressed. I also had the A version of this rod. It has been a while since I the A, so I can’t directly compare them. I have 3 of the new Expride B’s and I do believe they are more sensitive. The handle is more comfortable and the fit and finish of the rod is better. The one I haven’t upgraded yet is the 6’10. The more rigid comments are causing me to hold off on my jerkbait rod until I get more feedback. The action of the A is perfect for that technique.

15. Member
    Thank you … I was thinking of utilizing the 6”10 med Hvy for more of a dock skipping/ bank pitching rod.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

16. Member
    I just ordered an jerkbait A to compare to the B I got a month ago. I’ll swing back around

Landbigfish has a few Expride A models marked down to $182. I saw the 6’10” M and 7’3”XH and others.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

18. Member
    I finally got a 7M spinning and the cork is standing proud of the grip on one side of the lower handle. this is irritating to say the least as it's noticeable in the hand and high enough to catch on something and break a chunk off.

is this a warranty issue?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I finally got a 7M spinning and the cork is standing proud of the grip on one side of the lower handle. this is irritating to say the least as it's noticeable in the hand and high enough to catch on something and break a chunk off.

is this a warranty issue?
    100%

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    Yes, they are, at least in all the models I have fished, ie the 7'2" ML, the 7'2" MH and the 7'M. I think the Bs are nice sticks (really like the new handle), but unfortunately Shimano changed the blank characteristics of the new model and the "thing" that made the Expride As special is gone (IMHO). I sold all my Bs, kept my existing As and moved on to another rod manufacturer.
    Why would you sell the 7’2” ML if you were looking for a Medium power rod. That rod may be the best Medium power rod I ever handled, but that is personal opinion of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast