2018 19trx Patriot hole shot help

I tried a 24 Tempest on my 2018 19trx Patriot with a 225 Merc 2-stroke. I got more bow lift which was great, but my hole shot was terrible. It took forever and my rpms were over 5k. There are no plugs in the prop. I have always started off with my hydraulic jackplate and trim all the way down with great results for holeshot. I was told by my dealer that my hydraulic jackplate should be high when blast off. Do I need plugs and should my jackplate be high when blasting off?
    Last edited by 19trx Patriot; 06-19-2022 at 08:24 AM.

2. Member
    Try 2.75 ptp with that 24 tempest plus. If that doesn’t work for you a Bravo1xs 24 p or a Fury4 23p

3. Member
    Start off with the motor at 2 3/4” ptp at blast off?

4. Member
    Start with the Jackplate about 3/4 of the way up. Then once you hit the throttle and the nose comes up start lowering the Jackplate down to about 1/2 or lower. This has worked well on my past two Tritons

5. Member
    You may need to add some pvs plugs if you want to start off with the jackplate high. Otherwise, the prop will cavitate. This is apparent from the higher rpms you are seeing. I usually takeoff with my jackplate very low as that provides a better holeshot for my setup.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

6. Member
    Thank you! I have some large plugs I will try and report back.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19trx Patriot View Post
    Thank you! I have some large plugs I will try and report back.
    Get some solid plugs if you can. Then go to the lake with a cordless drill. Start by drilling small holes in the plugs and work your way up in size until you find the sweet spot for the holeshot. With the jackplate high, you should need smaller holes. With the engine lower, you should need larger holes. I know where the height should be on my hydraulic jackplate that gives me the best hole shot. I don’t have a need to take off in shallow water. So, I just drop the jackplate before takeoff and then raise it up once I get on plane. The is gives me ability to drop the jackplate low for running in rough water.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

8. Member
    I added one large plug and what a difference. My hole shot improved dramatically. I am amazed how one large plug can make such a big difference.