Lower unit leaking oil

Folks,

I have a 2003 optimax 225xl 0t651168 2 that has sprung a leak in the lower unit prop shaft seal. I have ordered a few of the special tools required to remove the bearing carrier. My question is i’m 1 how difficult of a job is it… 2 are there any tips and tricks (already watched a hand full of YouTube videos) any additional would help.’ 3rd engine is close to 20 years old and pushing 1k hours. Any thing else I can replace to upgrade while I have it apart… I was thinking of just putting in whole new assembly and maybe bearing. 4th does the bearing assemble and hoping to plug and play and not mess with a bearing puller and press. Any thoughts or links appreciated

2. Member
    Nada? :(

3. Member
    Holiday weekend...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sougnip View Post
    Folks,

I have a 2003 optimax 225xl 0t651168 2 that has sprung a leak in the lower unit prop shaft seal. I have ordered a few of the special tools required to remove the bearing carrier. My question is i’m 1 how difficult of a job is it… 2 are there any tips and tricks (already watched a hand full of YouTube videos) any additional would help.’ 3rd engine is close to 20 years old and pushing 1k hours. Any thing else I can replace to upgrade while I have it apart… I was thinking of just putting in whole new assembly and maybe bearing. 4th does the bearing assemble and hoping to plug and play and not mess with a bearing puller and press. Any thoughts or links appreciated

This type of repair is NOT something we recommend as a "DIY" item due to the high number of specialty tools, techniques and training required to accurately and successfully repair gearcases.

Purchase a FACTORY Service Manual to use as your guide- NEVER attempt gearcase repairs without one.

Above all: Avoid using "tube" videos as your technical guidance. Many of them are riddled with costly errors.

2. Yes- most of the recommended techniques are covered in the Factory Service Manual.

3. Good time to do some inspection of the bearings, gears, etc.

4. Depends on the condition of the bearing/gear involved. Also note that the bearing carrier often requires a carrier puller to remove it (best method).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don, I have most tools at my disposal luckily with the exception of one or two and I have a service manual on hand… I was able to get the bearing carrier off after some convincing. Unfortunately, when I pulled the bearing carrier it seems the thrust ring is seized. The pressed gear and thrust ring stayed behind. and suggestion on getting the thrust ring off?

6. Member

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Clean any corrosion on the inside bore of the housing up near the ring. Add some high-quality penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two.

A heat-lamp may help to loosen it (apply heat to the outside of the housing but don't use TORCHES as you may cause damage).

There are a few "unconventional" pullers that may be capable of pulling the bearing and gear (the ring may require some ingenuity).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor