Aft wall in battery compartment removal?

I have a 1998 R91I (Intracoastal) that I am changing the battery charger in. I thought I was going to have to replace it in the boat, but when I got in there I saw four screws in each corner, of the little wall that the old charger was mounted to, so I removed them. I was hoping the little wall would come out after I removed the four screws.

The top of the wall will pivot foreword to about vertical but that’s about it. With the four screws removed it appears to be attached at the bottom still, kinda like a hinge?

I am thinking it’s still attached because of the rubber mat that is in the battery compartment.

I ran out of time trying to remove the wall, so I thought I would ask for suggestions on BBC.

I’lll finish the job tomorrow when I have more time.

Does anyone know what is still holding the wall in place where my charger mounts?

Its in the center of the battery compartment, and when I moved the top of it forward I could see the actual bilge floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

2. Member
    I have a 2003 205dvs and that's how you remove the charger, The spare prop holder also has 4 screws and comes out. Use care when you pull on the board the charger is heaver then you think.

My charger is already removed, actually it was rusted so bad, it was barely attached…that is the reason for replacing it, because it still worked, but the steel structure that attaches it to the boat was rusted away.

Yes the floor area forward of the charger is where the spare prop can be mounted.

It sounds like I just have to pull or pry the wall away from the floor in the battery compartment.
    Last edited by Axhammer; 06-20-2022 at 10:06 AM.

4. mikesxpress
    Remove the screws and floor area and the back will come out.

Ok. So you are saying to remove the horizontal floor area where the spare prop mount is located first. That’s what I will try. Thanks!

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    Ok. So you are saying to remove the horizontal floor area where the spare prop mount is located first. That’s what I will try. Thanks!
    That drop in floor section can/will hold the back in place.

This forum is awesome!

I removed the six screws securing the floor where the spare prop is stowed. The aft all is attached to it, the rubber that is attached to the floor and aft wall is one piece, so they both have to come out at the same time. Once I removed the screws it lifted right out, making the charger replacement easy. I was able to vacuum the bottom of the bilge area where years of old dirt/trash has accumulated at the drain.

The job is complete, I have a new charger installed now.

Battery #1 is an AGM for the big motor. It took a full charge and illuminated a steady green light.

Battery #2 & #3 are lead acid batteries for my trolling motor. They are flashing green after a couple hours on the charger.

All three started in the red, and were flashing green after a while on the charger.

I need the screw that holds the spare prop in place. I’m going to assume the best place to get one is from Ranger Parts?

Thanks for the help everyone, I’m going fishing today!
    Last edited by Axhammer; 06-20-2022 at 10:07 AM.