Praying Odd problem with a 1997 Fast Strike 150

I bought this boat about 6 months ago.Fast Strike 150 on a Stratos 282 bass boat.I got a great deal, but have been working thru some issues. I had a intermittrnt non spark going on,but that has been fixed by replacing optical sensor and power pack with a CDI unit. Fires right up, nice idle, great throttle response from the ramp. After stopping and fishing for more than 15 mins +/-, fires right up, then drops into very low ,rough idle. Stalls on its own or when trying to feed it throttle. I have to sit in neutral and keep the revs at 3K or so and eventually it will let me give it throttle when in gear. Runs great afterward. The motor feels like its flooding. If I only fish a spot for a few minutes it doesnt do this. This is something that just started happening. Any advice or feedback as to a starting point to find this would be appreciated.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Do a search for heat soak.....many responses for that. Try pumping the bulb up firm before starting up after sitting and fishing for a while...

3. Member
    Thanks for that. I will do that search now!

Friends did the same thing and we did the roller adjustment, Make sure the clear sleeve is on the carb throttle lever that opens the butterflies and we had to adjust the idle air circuit screw to i believe 5 turns out from seated. This resolved all his issues. After all your adjustments are done make sure that the timing and throttle move simultaneously. may need to adjust the throttle cable as well. Lots of things all play together so go back and double check all your setting when you are done.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Thank you JoePA and Bassmeister.I have been busy searching all the threads and now know what 'heat soak' is and that it is common on these motors.We have had extreme heat (for the NE Ga mtns ) for the past week.I never had any issue until then. Good to know where to start to remedy this problem,and that there isnt anything really wrong with the motor.Going to start with the easy fixes ( idle in neutral for a min, non-eth premium ,roller/timing adjustment, etc... ) and see what happens. I dont want to wait for Fall to fish!!
    A quick question. I want to confirm that the green screws on my carbs are the idle air adjust screws! I am going fishing in the morning and I will adjust as needed. I also cut a couple holes in the downturn of my motor cover vents ,to allow for better heat removal.
    Last edited by Nels; 06-19-2022 at 01:06 PM.