9” vs 12” at bow for mapping

I’m trying to plan my graphs for a new boat. It won’t be here until February, but I’m kicking around ideas.

I definitely wouldn’t say money doesn’t matter - but I’m determined to build everything the way I want it - within reason.

I’m probably going with both Mega 360 and Active Target (or LiveScope - I’m undecided) with two 12” graphs.

I want a 3rd graph on the bow solely for mapping. Am I wrong in thinking that a 9” would be sufficient for that? I think it’d be hard to fit three 12”s up front and I don’t want to waste the money on another 12 that I would only use for mapping.

2. Member
    I have been using a HDS 16 and Helix 10 on the bow and that has worked out well. But I did just install a Carbon 9 to the front in addition to handle Mapping/2d. So I would agree the 9 should be plenty suitable for what your looking for.

3. Member
    I have both a 12" HDS and a 9" HDS up front stacked. And like you said the 9" is what I use for mapping and 2D sonar. Happy with the setup plus it gives me a little more room for my foot on the trolling motor pedal.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

I also have a 12/9 combo up front, with 12" for AT and 9" for mapping/2D. All along, I've been thinking I would upgrade the 9 to a 12, but tbh, it seems to be fine for mapping/2D. Now, I do also have a 3n1 on the troller connected to the 9", and if you run multiple screens, ie the very popular chart/2D on top with Structure Scan on bottom, it gets pretty small. But just for Chart with a slice for 2D, it is working reasonably well, as on the front I am usually zoomed in on the chart pretty good. If for some reason my AT went down, I can always set the sonar source on the 12" to the 3n1 also.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 06-18-2022 at 06:35 PM.

5. Member
    I have run a few different 3 graph setups.

I had 10” for map, then 12” for map. Now 9” for map.

I found that the 12” used too much “real estate” at the bow when used just for mapping. 10&9 so just as well for map only display and it leave more room for 10, 12, etc for multiple LiveScope units.

But I’m the end I think it’s personal preference and what screens you like to displayed.

6. Member
    i've got 12 for active target and mega 360 and a 9 for mapping, works great and saves some space up front.

7. Member
    I’m another one running a 9 and 12 at the bow. Works excellent.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

8. Member
    Personally I would use a HDS7 Live for mapping only. Not like you are looking at teh whole lake while running down it at 60+ mph. The 7 for mapping is just fine, I use one up front to set my course for my ghost and to view maps with never a problem and it is a lot cheaper than the 9.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Personally I would use a HDS7 Live for mapping only. Not like you are looking at teh whole lake while running down it at 60+ mph. The 7 for mapping is just fine, I use one up front to set my course for my ghost and to view maps with never a problem and it is a lot cheaper than the 9.
    Unless you get a Carbon 9 for $799.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    I think the 9 would be great for just running mapping.

11. Member
    9 is as small as I want to go. Old eyes see bigger screens better.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

12. Member
    I switched to a live twelve with a live 9 for mapping this year on BBT Mounts. . Very happy with the layout and performance.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

13. Member
    If you're just using it for mapping, the Elite FS 9 is great for mapping. Mapping detail doesn't seem to need the detail image the Live units have. The price is much better too.

Watched an Edwin Evers video recently, tried to search for it but can't find it now - but essentially he runs his AT on a 9", and also runs a 16" up front as well. On the 16 he has 4 screens, SS across the bottom, the map, downscan, and 2D in three boxes across the top. I was surprised he ran AT on a 9", would think the more screen the better for AT and he could run whatever he wanted to from Lowrance... His 16" looks interesting, probably not all that useful here in Florida but for lakes with some depth and contour it probably works nice with the extra real estate on the 16".

Here's some images from a different vid...

I am putting 9" Garmin's on my new boat. I had 9's on my old one and they were fine for these old eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Watched an Edwin Evers video recently, tried to search for it but can't find it now - but essentially he runs his AT on a 9", and also runs a 16" up front as well. On the 16 he has 4 screens, SS across the bottom, the map, downscan, and 2D in three boxes across the top. I was surprised he ran AT on a 9", would think the more screen the better for AT and he could run whatever he wanted to from Lowrance... His 16" looks interesting, probably not all that useful here in Florida but for lakes with some depth and contour it probably works nice with the extra real estate on the 16".

Here's some images from a different vid...

So, as an experiment, I flipped sources and ran AT on the 9" up top, and Mapping/3n1 on 12" on bottom... suffice it to say i recall now why I bought a 12" for AT lol. My eyes are older than EE's I guess haha, but I definitely prefer the AT on the 12". 9" works fine for mapping/2D or mapping/DS at bow, I am usually zoomed in on map at bow anyway.