Question Mercury Pro XS trim motor

Mercury 250 Pro XS L
    Serial # 1B722298

My trim on my motor for the first time stopped working. I checked the relays and all had power going through them. I then tapped on the motor and it started working again. Worked good for several cycles and then stopped again. So, I’m guessing the motor is going bad. Are there any other things to ck and is this something that gradually gets worse or does it just completely stop?

Anyway does anyone know the part # for a OME trim motor and a good place to purchase one if this is what I need? Mine does have the metal case. Thanks for any help!

2. Member
    Brushes failing, probably can not get them but worth a look
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    8M0031551

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ See Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum)- she can get you one with a BBC Member discount.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. I’ve actually got a guy that is looking at my motor now, he does a lot of repairs for a marine dealer in my area. Supposed to be letting me know about it soon. Anyway my concern is, can these trim motors be sealed back up if they’ve been disassembled and repaired? Also what toque should the bolts be torqued to when I install the motor back? Any blue Loctite or anti-seize needed? Thanks again!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sealed up: That's on whomever is "working" on the trim motor. Since it had to be sealed when built at the factory, we'll go with "it's possible".

Blue liquid loctite recommended, 80 lbs/in on the trim motor securing screws.

Service Manual would be an excellent investment for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Yes sir! Thanks

8. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Sealed up: That's on whomever is "working" on the trim motor. Since it had to be sealed when built at the factory, we'll go with "it's possible".

Blue liquid loctite recommended, 80 lbs/in on the trim motor securing screws.

Service Manual would be an excellent investment for your engine.

Yes sir, Thanks!