Thread: Float setting

Float setting

0B304074. XR4 ELPO 150 h.p.
    looking for manual for this motor.
    Kinda poked around on- line and really couldn’t find the proper one.
    looking for pics/diagram of float level setting.
    long story short, had to remove top carb and adjust floats down after shop rebuilt carbs.
    One side of carb was pouring gas out while running. Adjusted both floats because they looked damn near the same level.
    The ridge that runs around the float was well above the top of the bowl housing while holding upside down. About 1/8”.
    I assume the float in question was topping out before the needle valve could seat.
    Runs fine now but may have to check the other 2 carbs/4 floats.

2. Member
    On my manual it says the top of the float should be level with the top of the bowl when inverted. Not sure how universal that is with Mercury carbs. You can order a service manual from a local Mercury dealer or online from a Mercury dealer, have to look it up with your serial number. Paper copies only, Mercury does not release or sell digital copies. Don, European Marine, sells them from his website, link in his signature. Probably easiest to call for a manual.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Sounds good. I’ll give him a call.
    my floats are domed on top. And going by the top of the dome, they were about 1/4” above the top edge of the float housing.
    They also have a ledge that runs around the perimeter which is parallel to the bottom edge of the float so I went by that as being at the top of the bowl housing which put the dome about 1/8” above the bowl housing. The top of the ledge was actually above the housing before I adjusted them.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You'll want to obtain a service manual for that engine in this case. Not much room for error on those particular floats.

Note: While still available, this is considered an "archive" manual (ie: Mercury prints it for us to fill your order).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor