Exporting Waypoints to Card

I have 3 Solix & 1Apex. Many times I have exported my Nav. Data to a card & never encountered an issue. I tried yesterday to export each one to a card. I tried several times, checked units using larger cards that the card wasn’t locked. I rebooted the units etc. I tried reformatting cards, essentially everything I new
    Each time I let the units run for an hour or more, with the dialog box as normal displaying exporting nav data with a cancel button. On 2 units I disconnected from the network to see if that was the issue.

I have as off now about 450 waypoints & 14 tracks which doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of data.
    I also tried restore factory defaults. I did not do restore on nav data as this would cause me to lose recent waypoints.

Any suggestions on possible solutions?
    - Tommy
    Solix 15” G1, Solix 15”G2, Solix 10” G3, M360, ML networked
    Via 2 5 port switches

The card capacity has to be 32 GB or LESS.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I had that issue a while back. My units were not recognizing the card. I switched card slots and got it to work.

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I have had intermittent issues with the card readers on both my 19 and 13 Apex units. When it doesn't recognize them (and yes they are 32GB cards which I've used for years through multiple generations of Onix, Solix, and now Apex), it shows zero "things" on the cards including Images, Sonar Recordings, saved settings, and etc. It's almost as though the card isn't in the slot. When this happens, I've tried the card in both slots and it won't work in either. I've also tried a card which is working in my other unit and it won't read that one either.

A reboot of the unit seems to fix the problem, although I have had the same occurrence on a subsequent reboot on one occasion. I haven't been able to determine what circumstances causes this to happen but I run off the starting battery and troll so I have very consistent, and good, voltage. I had thought that maybe it is some conflict in the networking operations with multiple units but I just had this happen on a trip where I had a portable setup with my Apex 13 directly connected to a 30 Amp Hour Lithium battery... with an appropriate fuse of course. It was not networked and I did a Restore Factory Defaults on the unit to make sure the Mega 360 and Mega Live would work well in this isolated setup... I still had the issue once during the 4 day fishing trip.

It doesn't happen that often and I have reported it to Humminbird but it's not really something I'm willing to be without my unit while I send it to Humminbird for diagnosis.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

The cards I have are all 8 or 16 GB’s, except for one 32 GB, which I have used for several years in my Solix 15 G2 with no issues, although I did try a different, smaller GB spare card in that specific unit. I also tried spare cards I have that are 16GB or less in the other units. Although I have tried on each unit numerous times with different cards 16GB’s or less, the last time I did the following on the Apex 13 & the Solix G2:
    - Disconnected both units from the network
    - Restored factory defaults on each unit
    - Reformatted 2 16GB cards on my MS IOS computer
    - Removed the map cards I had in these units, using that slot to insert the memory card
    - Encrypted each card in each unit with the units indicating the cards were successfully encrypted
    - Selected export menu settings, with the units displaying message the unit’s menu settings were successfully saved
    - Selected export Nav Data with Dialogue Box appearing immediately indicating Nave Data was being exported. After one hour of running without completing the task I canceled.
    - I also tried exporting a single waypoint to the cards on each unit using the Nav Data Tool, but it did the same thing, indicating the waypoint was being exported, but never completing the task.

As this is occurring on all 4 units, I had all global settings on the last time I went through a unit making various changes to the menu choices, I can’t help but think the issue is related to something I changed that has caused this to occur.
    The only other possible things I have thought could possibly be causing the issue are: I recently went through my unit I use as the primary unit and edited each waypoint creating a new locations associated with various bodies of water I fish using the Nav Dats tool, ie, from My Data to Rayburn, TB, Houston, etc. Additionally, my base original waypoints were managed with Humminbird PC as I ran xx98’s & Helixes before moving to Solix, but this has never seemed to cause any issues in the past & I have exported the data several times since installing the latest Solix software.

I haven’t restored Nav. Settings on any of the unit as I know this will cause me to lose about 15-20 waypoints since the last time I exported Nav Data to a card & saved to my computer. The only work around I can think of is to take a photo of the detailed info for each waypoint, then key in manually if restoring Nav Data factory settings is the only way to resolve the issue.

I plan to contact Humminbird support next week to get their recommendations to resolve & will let everyone know if/when/how it was resolved. In the meantime if anyone else may have ran into this or have a suggestion please let me know.
    - Tommy
    Via 2 5 port switches

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB Doppler View Post
    The cards I have are all 8 or 16 GB’s, except for one 32 GB, which I have used for several years in my Solix 15 G2 with no issues, although I did try a different, smaller GB spare card in that specific unit. I also tried spare cards I have that are 16GB or less in the other units. Although I have tried on each unit numerous times with different cards 16GB’s or less, the last time I did the following on the Apex 13 & the Solix G2:
    - Disconnected both units from the network
    - Restored factory defaults on each unit
    - Reformatted 2 16GB cards on my MS IOS computer
    - Removed the map cards I had in these units, using that slot to insert the memory card
    - Encrypted each card in each unit with the units indicating the cards were successfully encrypted
    - Selected export menu settings, with the units displaying message the unit’s menu settings were successfully saved
    - Selected export Nav Data with Dialogue Box appearing immediately indicating Nave Data was being exported. After one hour of running without completing the task I canceled.
    - I also tried exporting a single waypoint to the cards on each unit using the Nav Data Tool, but it did the same thing, indicating the waypoint was being exported, but never completing the task.

As this is occurring on all 4 units, I had all global settings on the last time I went through a unit making various changes to the menu choices, I can’t help but think the issue is related to something I changed that has caused this to occur.
    The only other possible things I have thought could possibly be causing the issue are: I recently went through my unit I use as the primary unit and edited each waypoint creating a new locations associated with various bodies of water I fish using the Nav Dats tool, ie, from My Data to Rayburn, TB, Houston, etc. Additionally, my base original waypoints were managed with Humminbird PC as I ran xx98’s & Helixes before moving to Solix, but this has never seemed to cause any issues in the past & I have exported the data several times since installing the latest Solix software.

I haven’t restored Nav. Settings on any of the unit as I know this will cause me to lose about 15-20 waypoints since the last time I exported Nav Data to a card & saved to my computer. The only work around I can think of is to take a photo of the detailed info for each waypoint, then key in manually if restoring Nav Data factory settings is the only way to resolve the issue.

I plan to contact Humminbird support next week to get their recommendations to resolve & will let everyone know if/when/how it was resolved. In the meantime if anyone else may have ran into this or have a suggestion please let me know.
    Wow, you have tried everything that I can think of as well. The good news is that, unlike the Helix, the Apex and Solix store all Waypoints on every networked unit. If you could get one unit to save the waypoints, you would have all your waypoints saved.

Since this is happening on each of your units, it sure sounds like some sort of Nav Data corruption issue. As you said, you would loose some waypoints if you do a Nav Data Restore and then restored from the card with some missing recent waypoints but that may be the only way to get around the issue. You could disconnect one unit from the Network and do the Nav Data Restore on it and then Reload your data from your last save. You could then see if you can save that data back to the card. If that works successfully, then you are pretty assured that there is some corruption in the current Nav Data.

Before connecting the unit back to the network, you could take the pictures of the recent missing waypoints from one of the other units in case you need to manually recreate them later.

At that point, i think the only course of action you would have is to do a Nav Data Restore on all the units individually while disconnected from the network and then manually create the missing recent Waypoints after reconnecting the network and allowing the waypoints to sync with the original test unit.

Wow, all that makes my head hurt. I hope you are able to follow my logic.

Before embarking on this, I would definitely reach out to Humminbird to see if they have any other suggestions.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

7. Member
    There is care to be taken with SD cards. They need the contacts cleaned now and then(fisher people do not always have clean fingers) Denatured alcohol with a swab is good. There are even cleaning cards you insert to clean the card drive.Cards can actually get worn out with time as well as pencil erasers can get the contacts worn off through the rubbing of the eraser. Don’t use erasers to clean the contacts. More info can be obtained through camera forums for products used. Finally back up your data to something off the boat. Stuff does happen sometimes. The difference in price of the chips can very widely. I have found some more reliable. Again photo forums are a good source for info. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I didn’t ever call HB support, however Im hopes of possibly helping somebody else out, I wanted to share a workaround that allowed me to retrieve all my waypoints. Since I have Solix units networked all the waypoints are saved in all units. As stated prior I tried numerous times to export Nav. Data to a card on alol units to not avail. I was able to use the Nav Data tool, initially exporting the individual waypoints individually that were new since the last time I had saved, planning to consolidate them with all my other saved waypoints. Just for grins I had the export all waypoints & I was able save all of them. Note this only saves waypoints, not tracks, routes etc., but I already had the few tracks saved separately.
    I reset the Nav settings to factory defaults & the units are exporting/importing fine now.
    - Tommy
    Via 2 5 port switches

Quote Originally Posted by TB Doppler View Post
    I didn’t ever call HB support, however Im hopes of possibly helping somebody else out, I wanted to share a workaround that allowed me to retrieve all my waypoints. Since I have Solix units networked all the waypoints are saved in all units. As stated prior I tried numerous times to export Nav. Data to a card on alol units to not avail. I was able to use the Nav Data tool, initially exporting the individual waypoints individually that were new since the last time I had saved, planning to consolidate them with all my other saved waypoints. Just for grins I had the export all waypoints & I was able save all of them. Note this only saves waypoints, not tracks, routes etc., but I already had the few tracks saved separately.
    I reset the Nav settings to factory defaults & the units are exporting/importing fine now.
    Tracks and Routes are listed separately and can be Exported separately the same way that waypoints are done.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL