Question about new pole fluid

I’m going to change fluid in my PP reservoirs. I’m pretty certain that this is the first time it has been done. When poles are installed at the boat manufacturer or rigged at dealership when new, is the first fill usually Green Ecco or hydro oil. Called factory and dealer and couldn’t get a straight answer. I want to try and keep fluid the same but have no idea how to tell the difference.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    green marine, fluid instock give me a call

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply Kevin. Actually I got two bottles from local West Marine clearance shelf. Apparently someone ordered it and returned it or didn’t pick it up. Anyway got a ridiculous deal on it.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Thanks for the reply Kevin. Actually I got two bottles from local West Marine clearance shelf. Apparently someone ordered it and returned it or didn’t pick it up. Anyway got a ridiculous deal on it.

5. Member
    And now like everything I run into, I have a major issue. What should be an easy removal of four screws to remove the pump, it appears the pumps were installed before the top cap of the boat. The only way to get at them is to remove the bracket from the floor to gain access to the pump screws. And for the big problem, one of the screws is blind, I can’t see it even with a mirror, it’s to close to the back by the transom to get a screwdriver on it. Spent an hour and I’m no closer to getting it out than I was when I started.

6. Member
    Take the cap off the reservoir, get a suction /evacuation tool and suck the old fluid out and put new in.
    2001- 21XDC-300r
    Pete.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whatzap View Post
    Take the cap off the reservoir, get a suction /evacuation tool and suck the old fluid out and put new in.
    I may have to, but the screens will probably still have the gummy gunk on them.

The bracket on my pumps to the floor had two bolts that I could take out. Rather than the floor screws
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    The bracket on my pumps to the floor had two bolts that I could take out. Rather than the floor screws
    Mine are tucked so tight, I can’t see a thing.

10. Member
    pics?

I changed mine over to hyd fluid, didn't like what the green stuff does over time.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

11. Member
    I did manage to get the brackets out after hrs of finagling. The very first thing I did was re-install them where I can service the pumps in the future. As far as the fluid, it was 5 years old and besides being a bit discolored, not one sign of gunk or gummy residue. Filter screens were perfectly clean. Would that have been possible with Green fluid? I’m thinking they may have used Dino during initial install.

12. Member
    I changed my green fluid just under two years and I could see the beginning stages of skim in the fluids. I would assume dino was used. I installed my poles in 2020 and left space to access the pump bolts for removal. I dropped the poles to the ground, then evacuated the fluid. Then pushed po!e up and got fluid out the lines and removed pump fluid reservoir. Cleaned inside reservoir housing, ensured oring between pump and housing was secured then reinstalled in bilge. I did drop one of the bolts that secure the pump to the housing. Luckily Lowes carries I believe it was a M8 x 3/4" long bolt. Got it all together and deploys/ retrieves without issues. Powerpole recommend chaning out the fluid yearly.
    Last edited by javelin90; 06-19-2022 at 06:00 PM.

13. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC