Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a Problem solver here , driving me nuts

Okay problem , but will start with my units on boat at consul helix 12 gen 4 SI , at bow helix gen 4 12 SI & Helix gen 4 12 , DI
    mega live and mega 360 , all linked to internet box , so turn everyone on and takes a while but all comes up , Mega 360 running perfect , and Mega live then it happens Mega live either disappears or on other mega 360 shuts down gone , units freeze up even, shut down just run mega 360 and runs fine and the other unit works great as long as I don t use Live turn Mega 360 off turn Live on the other works fine, , Ready to explode everything works great then an Hour and total disaster.
    now these units are on the sea clear system on a Iconic battery by themselves nothing else , Help any Ideas Please

2. Member
    Check your ethernet box. Sounds like you have more than 4 connections on one box.
    If you haven't added the second ethernet box you need to do so if you only have 1.
    Next, check to make sure you have the auto-setup turned off and global settings.
    I'm a solix guy but I sure have mine shut off. I also turn off auto depth.
    It sounds like you have a conflict with the bow units changing transducers and setup.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Check your ethernet box. Sounds like you have more than 4 connections on one box.
    If you haven't added the second ethernet box you need to do so if you only have 1.
    Next, check to make sure you have the auto-setup turned off and global settings.
    It sounds like you have a conflict with the bow units changing transducers and setup.
    Good Luck!
    Helix units don't have the Auto Configure or Global settings.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Out of curiosity, does this happen all of the time or perhaps only in certain conditions?

My 360 (original, not MEGA) and Ulterra will occasionally disconnect from the network (and Talon button disappears from the iPilot remote) when I'm WOT on moderate chop, but has never happened on calm water, idle, etc. Sometimes I can simply shut down one of the components and restart/reboot, but sometimes the only cure is to shut down everything, including pulling the fuse to the 360, and restart/reboot everything. [This is all in addition, but likely unrelated, to the fact that one of my Talons randomly disconnects (but immediately reconnects) upon deploy/stow, which I believe is a known issue elsewhere.]

My working theory is that my Ethernet switch needs a shock absorber, but haven't tested it yet. Mind you, nothing of mine has shut down on its own, and I'm not really sure if a network glitch could even do that.

5. Member
    I don't know what to say already go out and starts out great then things start to freeze or shut down or go haywire , I'm at the point if someone in the area was to be able to set it up or find out what's up with it I'd pay em tired of playing with it

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    I don't know what to say already go out and starts out great then things start to freeze or shut down or go haywire , I'm at the point if someone in the area was to be able to set it up or find out what's up with it I'd pay em tired of playing with it
    In my personal experience I ran ML and mega 360 no problem for many months.
    After I switched out a Gen2 to a Gen4 I started getting freezing on the gen4 when using ML and Ulterra would disconnect.

My opinion is the trouble is when using a Gen4 and ML together.

I took the gen4 out of using ML until a software fix comes around.

PS After my gen4 freezes, the ML will still be running normal on my other Gen3 unit.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

7. Member
    Maybe problem is solved , to much hooked up to the internet switch , I disconnected the trolling motor from I pilot an one other from consel, and the bow units are working fine Mega live & mega 360 and all fuctions on the bow units working, so bottom line to run all this equipment need 2 internet switches or some kind of update Hope this helps others from going nuts

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I posted this on another "Helix Freezing" thread and thought it might be helpful here as well...

I haven't had any Mega Live freezing issues until this week. I use Mega Live and Mega 360 a bunch on my 2 Apex, previously 1 Apex and 1 Solix, and 2 Solix before that. This week I used a portable setup with both Mega Live and Mega 360 with only my Apex 13 on a jon boat supplied by a fishing resort. When the Mega Live started freezing on the first day of my 4 day trip, I did a "Restore Factory Defaults" but that didn't fix the freezing issue.

I found that, if I started the Mega Live and Mega 360 before booting the Apex 13, it would freeze up after a while. On the other hand, if I first booted up the Apex and let it get fully booted (typically a couple of minutes after it looks like it has fully booted) and then connected the power to the Mega Live and Mega 360, it would not freeze up.

I realize that the majority of the freezing that people are encountering is with Helix units and it has been reported that Humminbird is aware of the issue, but I thought I would share my Mega Live with Apex freezing experience in case this boot sequence may also help with Helix units.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    Thats why the disclaimer, "I;m a solix guy"....

Pajoe glad you got things working, I have 4 connections on my ethernet switch.
    2 solix's, Ultrex & ML. If I add something else, I'll add a new switch.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Good Luck!
    Unfortunately, it does seem like several are overloading these ethernet boxes with all 5 ports being used (even though it has 5 ports) and need to move to 2 boxes to solve the issue.

11. Member
    Try this, "Most network issues begin and end with the 5 port switch. This is a workaround that has worked for many. Send power to your switch, and any other peripherals such as Mega 360 or Mega Live. Start on any pre-launch activities that you have to do, giving them a few minutes to sync. Then start your first graph, allow it to fully power before moving on to the next and the next if you have others. If this works for you, this is how you need to start your network going forward."

17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    I

13. Member
    Ione357 I did what you where saying go turn on one till it fires up go to next but didn't solve the problem still did it, but now less connections in switch it works but I still do what ur saying one at a time was on water for 8 hours sunday nock on wood not a single problem

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Ione357 I did what you where saying go turn on one till it fires up go to next but didn't solve the problem still did it, but now less connections in switch it works but I still do what ur saying one at a time was on water for 8 hours sunday nock on wood not a single problem
    Connecting 5 items to the Humminbird Ethernet Switch is a real crap shoot. Some people have issues while others don't. I think it is throughput overruns so it probably depends on what combination of devices you have.

It could also be based on the age of your Switch. I would guess that Humminbird has made some engineering tweaks to the product through the several years it has been on the market.

Glad you got it resolved.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

15. Member
    Date First Available, August 25, 2012. I don’t remember any updates. Maybe somebody does. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Date First Available, August 25, 2012. I don’t remember any updates. Maybe somebody does. Bob
    Ethernet technology has advanced significantly in the last 10 years. Sounds like it is time for a new switch.

17. Member
    A new design on the switch maybe is needed with all the new equipment they brought out something beefed up , But I guest they didn't do anything yet in performance of them since mine should be fairly new since its in a 2021 fxr .

18. Member
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did, but something tells me HB didn't reinvent the wheel when it came to communications protocol.

Is there anything functionally different between the HB Eth Switch and an off-the-shelf ethernet switch from Netgear or TP-Link? In theory, if one could adapt the RJ-45 connectors on a regular ethernet switch to M12-8 (that HB uses) - aside from the whole 'not-rated-for-outdoor-use' thing - would it not work?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psygnal11 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did, but something tells me HB didn't reinvent the wheel when it came to communications protocol.

Is there anything functionally different between the HB Eth Switch and an off-the-shelf ethernet switch from Netgear or TP-Link? In theory, if one could adapt the RJ-45 connectors on a regular ethernet switch to M12-8 (that HB uses) - aside from the whole 'not-rated-for-outdoor-use' thing - would it not work?
    If I remember correctly, HB uses a Universal Data Port protocol.
    That is not as nice as a TCP-IP protocol or something of the like.
    In all, how much com data can the head unit process.
    That is probably part of the reason Solix's have a dual processor now.
    And God help me if you ask about RAM....

20. Member
    Okay problem , but will start with my units on boat at consul helix 12 gen 4 SI , at bow helix gen 4 12 SI & Helix gen 4 12 , DI
    mega live and mega 360 , all linked to internet box , so turn everyone on and takes a while but all comes up , Mega 360 running perfect , and Mega live then it happens Mega live either disappears or on other mega 360 shuts down gone , units freeze up even, shut down just run mega 360 and runs fine and the other unit works great as long as I don t use Live turn Mega 360 off turn Live on the other works fine, , Ready to explode everything works great then an Hour and total disaster.
    now these units are on the sea clear system on a Iconic battery by themselves nothing else , Help any Ideas Please
    had the same issue and adding a second Ethernet box took care of it
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast