Wobble-head, swing-head, biffle bug setup

Looking for recommendations for a 7’6” rod to fish swing-head, wobble-head, biffle bug. Anyone have this technic figured out and care to share?

2. Member
    I fish mine on a Loomis NRX894 most of the time.

I fish a 1/2 to 3/4 oz on an ALX Rods ZOLO Brawler and a 7:1 reel. The best thing I have found (and I fish it a lot) is a long cast and keeping it moving. I hold the rod at about 30 degrees most of the time. Sometimes it does better dragging and pausing and other times it does better with a slower steady retrieve. I really never reel it fast. Kind of have to play with it to see which they want on a given day. I found holding the rod at about 30 degrees puts me in the best position for both hard strikes and soft pickups. I use both a Clutch Craw and a Suresack Mag worm. Use the craw more and tend to get more bites on the craw.

Falcon Cara Amistad 7'3" with a Curado 200HG for me.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. BBC SPONSOR
    NRX 894 for me as well

6. Member
    Conquest 904c or NRX+ 904c. The 894c is awesome, but the mag bass taper is perfect for this technique. You can make long casts with the swing head and the then have the hook setting power you need.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Now when it comes to line, some use braid to mono or fluoro leader, some use straight fluoro (14-20lb). Why one over the other?

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use a Megabass Daemos or Tequila Baccarac for wobbleheads. I only throw 3/4 and 1 oz so it stays on the bottom in every depth that I'll fish. The line I use depends on the bottom composition. Up here on the St Lawrence where there's lots of rock and zebra mussels it's mostly 20 lb fluoro as plain braid doesn't hold up very well. Down south on Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn where there is a ton of wood on the bottom, I generally use straight 50 lb braid. Get snagged a lot on these big East Texas reservoirs and I can usually pull the snag free. If I find a shell bed, gravel pile or stretch of hard clay, then i'll switch over to 20 lb fluoro.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

The Steez AGS 79H Universal Power and the Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact II are both excellent wobble head rods. If you're fishing 3/4 or 1 oz most often, I'd go 79H, if you're fishing 3/8 to 1/2 most often, I'd go 75MHH.

Quote Originally Posted by nwstriper View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Now when it comes to line, some use braid to mono or fluoro leader, some use straight fluoro (14-20lb). Why one over the other?
    I use 40# braid and 20# flouro. I figure with the bait moving, the line size isn't going to matter a lot. I also am bumping around rocks and cover some as well, so I want the extra abrasion resistance.

I primarily run braid because at times its a while in between times I fish, so I never have to deal with line memory on my main line with braid. Change out my leader and rock on.

11. Member
    I use a dobyns champion 735, Chronarch 200 E7, 16# Sunline sniper FC. I only throw 3/4 oz.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwstriper View Post
    I go straight 17# abrazx. Just don't feel that light line is necessary for the technique, and can cast 17# better than 20-25 pound flouro.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package