1995 mercury 200 XRI efi 2.5 liter compression test low.

I have a 200xri efi serial#0G146366 that I just did compression test on and all cylinders tested 85# give or take a psi. The engine was warmed up and at work throttle is there anything else to check for cause for low compression or just time for rebuild or new powerhead.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fully charged, good, amply rated battery connected?

ALL spark plugs removed from the engine?

Repeated the test with a separate, known-accurate compression gauge?

Tend to suspect one of the above may be the key.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Full battery and all plugs removed but it is cheap tester from harbor freight going to get another tester to verify results

4. Member
    Thats your issue. Mine was low on harbor freight gauge. Good compression on a rental gauge from auto parts store

5. Member
    I bought another compression tester from O'Reilly's and compression tested 115psi on #1 and 120-121 on other five cylinders. Been having idle issues and just checking everything to find what the issue is. Going to do link and sync once the dial indicator I ordered arrives have already replaced stator,trigger,voltage regulators and coils and plugs. Tested spark on all cylinders with 7/16 spark gap all good. Also found bleed system filter plugged and replaced it.

6. Member
    I ran compression again with snap on compression tester that borrowed from mechanic friend and pressures were 125-127 on all cylinders. I think I may have found idle problem ran boat on portable tank and it idle dead steady then hooked up on board tank and it started idling badly again after a few minutes then hooked back up portable tank again in a few minutes dead steady idle again. Looks like need to empty main tank have some bad fuel thanks.

7. Member
    Also check the fuel lines, they may be failing on the inside.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay