2010 250 SHO, making oil (i think)

Hi again. Relatively new-to-me 2010 250 SHO, acquired last fall. New powerhead in 2018 that has about 85 hours. The oil was changed as part of winterization at the end of last season. After having a fishing buddy (who also has a 250 SHO) told me about the infamous "making oil" problem, and after reading some posts about it on on here, I went did did the procedure to check my oil. Tilted the motor up a bit past 45 degrees for about 10 min. Put it back to level. Cleaned dip stick and checked it. Oil is literally halfway up the stick....way past the max. Is that all that's needed for a clear indication of making oil? I'm going to do an oil change today. My buddy advised running the shit out of it at WOT to try to seat the rings, which I will do likely this friday. Is there anything else I can or should be doing here?

2. Member
    I just dumped the oil, and it was about 8.8 quarts, vs. the 7.1 quarts that should have been put in. Me thinks this is no bueno.

3. Member
    A mechanic on here said to trim motor all the way down and run a whole tank of gas out. Running wide open trimmed up as well for long periods will help too.

4. Member
    Put fresh oil in, just use conventional blue bottle. Run the chit out of it for 6-8 hrs, make some long 20 mile runs at 6000 rpms. Then change the oil again and go to synthetic gold bottle and you should be good.

Did it smell like gas?
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

6. Member
    I tried to smell it but I couldnt' tell. Gas and oil smell so similar to me.

7. Member
    When you change the oil and filter put 61/2 quarts in ......not 7.1 61/2 puts you mid way between the dots on the dip stick.....where you should be.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    When you change the oil and filter put 61/2 quarts in ......not 7.1 61/2 puts you mid way between the dots on the dip stick.....where you should be.
    This !

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    Exactly! I would say that over half of the accused of making oil is just people over filling them then thinking it "made oil" after checking it. You are not going to get all of the oil out of it during a change no matter what and most people use an extractor. Quit over filling it and it will quit so called making oil.

10. Member
    The official sources all say 7.1 quarts. I put in 7 (before the suggesting here to put 6.5). It showed perfectly mid way on the dipstick. I did to out and run the shit out of it for an hour straight. My max temp hit 147 and held throughout the run. Is that high enough to seat the rings? I did check oil again later, and it's up, to the top of the dipstick max already when it was at the midway before. But damn does it run smoother on fresh oil....to me, likely a confirmation that my oil was dilluted with gas.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1953 View Post
    A mechanic on here said to trim motor all the way down and run a whole tank of gas out. Running wide open trimmed up as well for long periods will help too.
    This is what I've been trying to do - last two trips were on Rodman, where WOT is no bueno (at least for me), it's essentially a stump factory, even in the channel. So I went up the canal (also stumpy oddly enough, but less so) and just buried the trim and ran it as fast as I dared which only got me up around 4k rpm still. Trailer is going to shop tomorrow for some minor work but when I get it back I will head out to friendlier waters ie SJR, and open that sucker up to get those rings seated. Will be coming up on 20hr service as well.