1989 70hp Evinrude runs great on muffs but won't idle slow in water

Model Number: E70TLCE

I just purchased this motor. It ran really well on muffs in the seller's driveway. When I put it in the water it starts fine but when I trim the motor down after getting away from the trailer it stalls out. If I trim the motor up so that the water intake is underwater but the prop is just barely breaking the surface of the water, it idles fine. I can get it into gear and cruising by adjusting the trim down as I increase RPM. Once I am going above low idle the motor runs great trimmed all the way. When I decelerate and put it into low idle it stalls if the motor is still trimmed down. If I trim the motor up as I slow down it does not stall out in low idle. The issue does NOT go away once the engine is warmed up.

I don't have any experience with these motors, but I've done some research and bought the original factory service manual. I am thinking that that the previous owner performed the idle speed adjustment on muffs in driveway instead of in the water. Would this cause the problem I am experiencing? I appreciate the help!

2. Member
    What is the idle speed in neutral and in gear? Yes it’s possible idle rpm on the muffs was set improperly. Your engine will always idle best at level trim when in the water.

3. Member
    I am going to put it in the water this weekend and will confirm idle speed in neutral and in gear.

4. Member
    Idle speed in neutral (with the engine trimmed up and prop just barely breaking the water) is 1,000 RPM. In gear it is 850 RPM.

It stalls out too quickly to say what the speed is with the engine trimmed all the way down.