Mill Creek and Newton

Anyone fished there recently? Thinking about a weekend trip to fish each lake 1 day. Never been to Mill Creek and not sure if the $30 launch fee is worth it. Newton I love fishing deep in June/July once the tournament insanity is over there, but have not been in 2 years.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

I should say up front that I have not been to Mill Creek at all since April, but I definitely plan to get over there for a couple days in July just because it is such a good hot weather lake. None of the tournament circuits that I fish go to Mill Creek, but I always make it a point to fish it a few days each Summer just for fun and something a little different. I have had a lot of single days at Mill Creek in June and July that were well worth the $30 fee. I see that you are from up North, so you could always fish Newton for a day and then start driving back North and hit Clinton for a day and avoid any lake fee(s) altogether. I fish Clinton a couple days a week, so I would be happy to help with current info.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I should say up front that I have not been to Mill Creek at all since April, but I definitely plan to get over there for a couple days in July just because it is such a good hot weather lake. None of the tournament circuits that I fish go to Mill Creek, but I always make it a point to fish it a few days each Summer just for fun and something a little different. I have had a lot of single days at Mill Creek in June and July that were well worth the $30 fee. I see that you are from up North, so you could always fish Newton for a day and then start driving back North and hit Clinton for a day and avoid any lake fee(s) altogether. I fish Clinton a couple days a week, so I would be happy to help with current info.
    Thanks Philly. I think I might scrap both Newton and Mill Creek and hit Clinton. Never been but I will ping you for some basic starting ideas if you would be so kind. I'm interested in doing some deeper, offshore structure type fishing (Crigs, FB jigs, etc.). From a brief look at the map it appears to have a lot of interesting offshore stuff.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Thanks Philly. I think I might scrap both Newton and Mill Creek and hit Clinton. Never been but I will ping you for some basic starting ideas if you would be so kind. I'm interested in doing some deeper, offshore structure type fishing (Crigs, FB jigs, etc.). From a brief look at the map it appears to have a lot of interesting offshore stuff.
    Yes Sir. That is the way that I prefer to fish whenever it is possible and Clinton is a great place to do it. I’d be glad to help however I can.

5. Member
    Hard to pass up Newton. I fish it regularly and I’m going today. As of right now 30-40 fish is just an average day. I’ve been measuring and releasing fish and catching anywhere from 18-22 keepers a day and losing some that size that jump off every day. Several times I have found a sweet spot and spot locked down and sat on spots for 2-3 hours and never move. 100 fish days and sometimes 8-10 fish in a row. It’s pretty awesome right now. I live 20 minutes from Mill Creek and in my opinion it’s a joke. I fished a tournament there in April because my buddy needed a partner and we did win and get big bass but Mill Creek always shines for big fish when the water is cold and muddy. My Dad is retired and he has a sticker just because it’s close and gas prices are high so it saves him money. Now the spawn is over and the water is warming up most of the big fish have disappeared like usual and it’s just a dink fest now. He’s went a couple days during the week he couldn’t even hardly fish because of the boat traffic. My personal opinion is Mill Creek is a waste of time and money unless you want to go dink fishing and MAYBE an occasional good one. Definitely not worth the money when Newton is free, Sam Parr is free, and East Fork and Lake Sara are a lot cheaper and a lot better fishing. But then again that’s my opinion and to each their own but I’m 20 minutes from Mill Creek and I try to avoid it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    Hard to pass up Newton. I fish it regularly and I’m going today. As of right now 30-40 fish is just an average day. I’ve been measuring and releasing fish and catching anywhere from 18-22 keepers a day and losing some that size that jump off every day. Several times I have found a sweet spot and spot locked down and sat on spots for 2-3 hours and never move. 100 fish days and sometimes 8-10 fish in a row. It’s pretty awesome right now. I live 20 minutes from Mill Creek and in my opinion it’s a joke. I fished a tournament there in April because my buddy needed a partner and we did win and get big bass but Mill Creek always shines for big fish when the water is cold and muddy. My Dad is retired and he has a sticker just because it’s close and gas prices are high so it saves him money. Now the spawn is over and the water is warming up most of the big fish have disappeared like usual and it’s just a dink fest now. He’s went a couple days during the week he couldn’t even hardly fish because of the boat traffic. My personal opinion is Mill Creek is a waste of time and money unless you want to go dink fishing and MAYBE an occasional good one. Definitely not worth the money when Newton is free, Sam Parr is free, and East Fork and Lake Sara are a lot cheaper and a lot better fishing. But then again that’s my opinion and to each their own but I’m 20 minutes from Mill Creek and I try to avoid it.
    Heading down this week. Hot or cold side been better?
    Please release me,let me go.