Whats' a good price for tune up

To change 6 spark plugs and clean out vst pump screens change filter and high-pressure pump screen and check over motor? I just did for a guy in the club and told him just the cost of parts, but he insists on paying me. What's fair?

2. Member
    I refuse to put a $ value on my charity when doing for others, if they insist, then whatever they give is enough. Normally, I ask they pass it on by doing a good deed for someone else.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I refuse to put a $ value on my charity when doing for others, if they insist, then whatever they give is enough. Normally, I ask they pass it on by doing a good deed for someone else.
    I'm the same with plumbing some just make me take money and I tell them whatever they gave is perfect. I don't count it just put it in my pocket.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Realize this isn't your engine- but please do be sure to provide the required info when posting. Thanks!

Most shops would charge about 1.75 hrs to do a careful assessment (we'll throw the plugs into that figure to be fair as well).

VST disassembly, cleaning and reassembly is another 1-1.5 hours depending on severity.

Now a friend that does it for you: Priceless.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I charge a coke.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleman55 View Post
    I charge a coke.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by eagleman55 View Post
    To change 6 spark plugs and clean out vst pump screens change filter and high-pressure pump screen and check over motor? I just did for a guy in the club and told him just the cost of parts, but he insists on paying me. What's fair?
    I usually charge a good IPA
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke