2005 Optimax 115

# 1B117277. Engine starts and idles fine. Slow out of the hole but gets up to 5200-5400 RPM quickly after trimming up. After running for a few seconds, you can feel the engine stutter or lurch and RPM goes down to 4700-4950. I’ve had this issue a little while but it was worse yesterday. Any thoughts, ideas, or questions? I can give more details after I see what questions you have. Appreciate it.

2. Member
    Is engine current on annual maintenance? Any alarms? Most likely will need to have a dealer read codes and provide printouts.

Don will move your post to the Mercury forum (covers all 2-strokes 130hp and below).

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Is engine current on annual maintenance? Any alarms? Most likely will need to have a dealer read codes and provide printouts.

Don will move your post to the Mercury forum (covers all 2-strokes 130hp and below).

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    Thank you. Yes, I’m current on annual maintenance. Recently changed fuel filter, air filter, lower unit oil, and spark plugs. Boat was exhibiting these same issues prior to the maintenance but not as bad as it was Monday. Went to Michigan last week and never had an issue. No alarms at all. My bad for posting in the wrong forum so definitely move the post if needed.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might double check the spark plug number as there's another that's "close" but does NOT work in this engine.

Also inspect the plug wires for any signs of chafing or leakage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Might double check the spark plug number as there's another that's "close" but does NOT work in this engine.

Also inspect the plug wires for any signs of chafing or leakage.
    Thank you! I’ll check these and post up what I find.

Spark plugs are NGK IZFR5J. Plug wires have a plastic sheathing around them but the ends I can see are in excellent condition. The motor itself is very clean and looks brand new.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might want to carry a timing light out on the water with you... when this occurs (and is consistently repeatable), connect the inductive pickup to each plug wire, one at a time.

You may have an ignition coil that's failing when hot.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you Don. I’ve no experience with timing lights but am willing to learn. Is it a hard job replacing a coil pack? Would cooler or warmer air temps hide or magnify this issue? Temps in the 90’s here this week but was only in the 60’s in Michigan and some mornings it was in the 30’s. I sure appreciate the advice.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Coils are quite simple to replace. Replace with ONLY OEM COMPONENTS (do not fall for aftermarket junk).

If it's a coil that fails when hot- the hotter the weather, the more likely it will fail.

Thanks again Don. I think I may just change them. Should I just order directly from Mercury or is there a good place to order OEM parts from?

11. Member
    Don's business is a great place to order parts, this will take you to his parts guru (aka Mrs Don) -
    If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

^ Appreciate the link!!!