Caracal Fuel Tank Configuration Recommendations

My new Caracal build is finally in the works. Have a brief amount of time to finalize my decision / change my mind on fuel tank configuration. I currently have it ordered with the stock 33gal under seat belly tank and upgraded the rear tank to a 26gal (from stock 10 gal). Will have a Bobs JP, two 8' PP's, and four AGM batteries. The other fuel tank option is to upgrade to two 26gal tanks in the rear. I know this option gives me the under-seat storage. I am coming out of a 2008 Puma, which didn't have that so not sure I would miss it. Puma had a 33gal belly tank with two 10gal tanks in rear.
    I run a lot on Lake St Clair and Erie, as well as small inland lakes and some TVA water. I am interested in hole shot seconded only slightly by top end. I have talked two a couple of you from on here extensively and thank you both so much for all of your help Wayne and Dan!!!)
    Curious what others think.

Both tanks in the back if you want a better performing boat.

Rear tanks and it isn't even close IMO.

4. Member
    Under seat storage is a must for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    Rear tanks and it isn't even close IMO.
    Amen
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

unpopular opinion....belly tank for increased hole shot performance. Had the belly tank on my P4 and miss it on my Cougar FTD....for what I use my boats for I believe it aids in holeshot and handling.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

7. Member
    2 smaller tanks in rear corners is what I would want. too much fuel tank in most boats and I never carry too much fuel either
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    I have the duel 26 tanks in my Caracal and I load my boat with a lot of items and my hole shot is better than with my Eyra. Only time I had an issue is when I had the tanks maxed out, live wells full and my fat buddy in the left seat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    I have the duel 26 tanks in my Caracal and I load my boat with a lot of items and my hole shot is better than with my Eyra. Only time I had an issue is when I had the tanks maxed out, live wells full and my fat buddy in the left seat.
    Perfect!

10. Member
    I really like my belly tank in my Puma for increased hole shot. I do miss the under seat storage I had in my Jag though. If my next one had a 2 stroke then I'd probably go back with a belly tank. If it has a 4 stroke I'd go with the rear tanks and get my storage back.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

11. Member
    Dual Rear tanks and under seat storage is the way to go. With the right prop hole shot shouldn't be an issue with that setup!

12. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I wish I had the two tanks in the back. I have one 26 in the back and the 33 gallon belly tank. I miss the underseat storage.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

13. Member
    2 26s in the rear is what I would get.

I have 2 26s in the rear. Initially I had 3 AGMs in the back. When I upgraded to a 112 Ultrex, I swapped the TM batteries to 3 60ah lithiums which fit in the BCB tandem tray. It would be pretty tight back there with 3 AGMs and 2 PP pumps. In any case, hole shot has not been an issue with a 23P Fury4 or Fury3 even fully loaded. A belly tank should improve the holeshot but I really do not see how since mine is very short. I would rather have the underseat storage. Performance is affected by how your weight is distributed and the rear tanks can be offset by a heavy TM and/or tons of tackle up front. It really depends on your needs. The most popular seems to be twin 26gal rear tanks.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It would be pretty tight back there with 3 AGMs and 2 PP pumps.
    With 4 strokes being on every new Caracal, the oil reservoir compartment makes great spot to mount the PowerPole pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman1122 View Post
    With 4 strokes being on every new Caracal, the oil reservoir compartment makes great spot to mount the PowerPole pumps.
    True! I forgot about that compartment!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

17. Member
    Yes perfect spot for them.