1993 Tracker TX 17 Floor Thickness?

Restoring a TX 17 Tracker, or at least trying to bring it back to life. It had sat for many years, and all I can say is WOW! I decided to replace the carpet, and after removing that, I found the deck was rotted. Removed all the plywood, and I couldn't believe how water logged and just nasty the foam was! Some of the pieces were like bricks. Needless to say the boat is entirely stripped down to the bare hull. Had a few questions for anyone that has taken on this project before:

- What thickness plywood have you used? What was there was so rotted, I basically pulled it in chunks. I didn't save any of it, stupid I know, but seemed like 1/2"? I could replace with 3/4", but seems like overkill. 5/8"?

- Has anyone used 4x8 PVC sheet? 3/4" is just about the same $$ as marine grade plywood. Either PVC or plywood would get covered with carpet. No rot ever.....just a thought.

- What about re-installing foam. I'm assuming Owens Corning pink sheets from Home Depot are good enough?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    PVC wouldn’t work because it distorts at higher temperatures which will likely happen with the sun beating down on carpet in the summer. If you use good wood or even upgrade to marine plywood and glass it over that would be the best way. Don’t overthink it, the original wood is almost 30 years old and probably was not cared for well.

3. Member
    Did mine with .060 aluminum sheets. Costs about the same as marine plywood and glass resin. Don't cheap out on the foam as it's part of the structural integrity of the hull.

4. Member
    My 1995 tx17 had 3/4” plywood on front deck & 5/8” plywood on cockpit floor. 5/8” starboard would work but 11 ga aluminum would be the gold standard. You will likely need to add support if using other than plywood…..tracker’s 3/4” plywood needed much less. I’d use 2 part marine flotation foam…..pretty easy to work with & it will significantly reduce sound transmission. Another option is marine foam blocks that you cut to size. Hardware store foam breaks down if expised to sunlight or petroleum products. Be sure to account for drainage which ever way you go.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Did mine with .060 aluminum sheets. Costs about the same as marine plywood and glass resin. Don't cheap out on the foam as it's part of the structural integrity of the hull.
    Did you just carpet over aluminum? Did you have to ad any extra support?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePell66 View Post
    Did you just carpet over aluminum? Did you have to ad any extra support?
    Yes,
    Quick hit with an orbital sander then glue her down.

7. Member
    Thanks for the advice to date, but I am really stuck on this one. I'm retired and this boat is my small retirement gift to myself, and as everyone knows today money is a little tight. I found 5/8" and 3/4" marine plywood at Lowes for $125 and $134. Little pricey and I would have to go to 2 different Lowes stores, each over 1hr. from me in opposite directions. I called a specialty plywood distributor in my state and got a price of $630 for 2 sheets. Almost dropped the phone. My question is can I go to my local Lowes, get 2 sheets of CDX Douglas Fir, 5/8" for the floor and 3/4" for the casting deck, put glass resin on them and be done? Sheets would run me about $50 each + resin. Aluminum would be a great way to go, but again the price is too much for me. Honestly, the boat will always be stored in my garage and no longer exposed to the elements as it was for the last 15 years. And if it's raining, I'm either staying home or going home.

So Yah or Nay on the CDX with glass resin?

8. Member
    No to the CDX. Marine plywood uses more layers and better glue so if it ever does get wet, it won’t delaminate the ply layers. That’s why, even if it gets wet, takes many years to rot. Regular plywood will delaminate and feel soft long before it rots. 5/8” with 1- 1.5 oz mat on both sides will be darn close to 3/4”. Could probably get by with 1/2”. Would be close to 5/8 laminated. Are you sure any of the flooring is 3/4? Sounds like overkill unless you’re really heavy. Doubt Tracker used 3/4”.
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 06-29-2022 at 02:11 PM.

9. Member
    To answer your original question, I'm not sure about what they used originally but know they put 3/4" in them currently. I'll also offer up to go to https://www.youtube.com/user/TH3TITAN360 for some rebuilding tips and tricks. Great channel and they have videos on how to about everything you could want in rebuilding a old or damaged boat.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture