93SV UHD turns off when engine is started with NMEA 2000 connected

If I have the NMEA cable connected to my 93SV for engine monitoring and t will shut down when I start the engine. They are both connected to the cranking battery, the 93SV has its own wires from the battery and the NMEA network is connected to the ignition switch as Garmin instructions say to do. I've tried two different units and they both do the same thing. TIA.

Are you saying that if you disconnect the NMEA2000 cable from the 93, then the 93 will stay powered up when you start the engine? Otherwise this could be a battery issue (unit powering down due to surge required from weak battery when starting engine).

A NMEA2000 network install does require you to power through a switch to prevent constant power draw from the network, but it's typically not installed through your ignition/engine switch. Most NMEA2000 installations also include other NEMA devices besides engine monitoring, so in these cases they must be powered through a switch independent of the engine, otherwise the network is only on when your engine switch is on. With all this said, I'm not sure why powering your NMEA2000 network through your ignition switch would be causing your 93 to power down when network power is applied via the ignition switch, unless a NMEA component is faulty (tee or cable).
    Last edited by Todd Driscoll; 06-14-2022 at 07:33 AM.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Yes. if I disconnect the NMEA cable from the unit it doesn't shut down on start up. The engine is the only thing on the network and that's why I used the ignition switch for power. If I can't figure out why it's doing this I'll power though a toggle switch.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd power thru a toggle switch or fuse box (if you have one) no matter what. Maybe the problem is going thru the ignition.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

This may seem redundant but check your battery voltage if you haven’t already. NEMA doesn’t pull much.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    I had a Yamaha on my last boat and when you would start the motor it would cut the humminbird unit off, i ended up running my graphs from a separate battery to get them to work. never had any trouble with mercury

7. Member
    Voltage/amperage drop.

8. Member
    I powered the NMEA network with a toggle switch connected to the fuse panel for power and did some test. If I power on the unit then turn the network on the unit shut down. If I turn the network on then the unit everything is fine. I've been out twice with it wired this way and as long I leave the network powered on the unit stays on. Turning on the key switch or starting the motor has no effect on it. I just find it strange that powering up the NMEA network after the unit is on shuts it off.