Thread: Tow mirrors

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

Tow mirrors

One of my F 150 Lariat truck mirrors got broken so thinking about changing them to tow mirrors (Damn expensive). Are they worth it?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Depends on what you are towing. Stock trailer, cargo trailer or camper, yes.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. mikesxpress
    I order all my Ford F150's with a long bed, carpet delete, and Dumbo mirrors. Only downside is sometimes you need to duck under them in a parking lot. Besides being able to adjust the bottom mirror to see the trailer their great for buzzing bicycle riders.

Have a Ram 1500, have thought about changing out the mirrors as well, but as you mentioned is expensive, even moreso since I have power folding. I do have a version of the "blind spot mirror" on both sides which works ok during day, but not work a flip when it's dark outside.

Buddy had a set of those "slide on" towing mirrors that he put on when towing boat to the Keys. He said they worked well enough, esp since they are typically less than $100 for a pair. He just used them when towing, didn't leave them on all the time.

https://smile.amazon.com/CIPA-11400-...ps%2C63&sr=8-9

I've used the slip on ones for my F-150 and Tundras. They work as advertised. I've never had an issue with them.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I've used the slip on ones for my F-150 and Tundras. They work as advertised. I've never had an issue with them.

Tom
    yeah for $50 I think they are worth trying, prob going to order a set. RAM oem Power Fold Tows are $500 EACH, and aftermarket typically start around couple hundred as well.

7. Member
    My last half ton I bought OEM non powered tow mirrors from Rock Auto .It was less than 200 bucks.

8. Member
    I have had the bigger mirrors on my last 2 Chevy Trucks and wouldn't have a truck with out them! Makes a world of difference, you can fold them in if your in tight quarters.

9. Member
    Have not found them needed for towing a boat....35' deck trailers, and enclosed trailers yes they help
    Fish have fins, they swim

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    yeah for $50 I think they are worth trying, prob going to order a set. RAM oem Power Fold Tows are $500 EACH, and aftermarket typically start around couple hundred as well.
    For info, I got these (the CIPA slip ons), they seemed pretty cheap, and are almost impossible to adjust precisely as the mirror is super stiff to move, making it jump too far when you are trying to set it. Plus they really just show a smaller version of the view I already have with my current mirrors for the most part. So they are going back.

I might look at replacing the ones I have, but the more think on it I'm not sure I really need them for towing a bass boat. I was thinking the would be nicer for reverse/backing the boat but they really didn't make any difference tbh.

11. Member
    I hate the basically worthless small mirrors on my shop f-150. The only thing they work with is towing my bass boat. Any of my other trailers they give you a good view of the front of the trailer and that is it. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.