johnson 225 eats voltage regulators.retifiers

Johnson, j225 PLETA eats voltage regulators/rectifiers. Was using CDI regulators, thought I would try an OEM Johnson. CDI regulators would last about 3 hours then mo tach and no charge. Replaced stator already and thermostats. good tattletale flow for cooling, have about 30 psi water psi. at WOT. Am trying a Johnson regulator to see if it holds up any better. Am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Make sure thermostats are operational and installed correctly. Remove blow off valve cover (#17) and parts. Drill 1/8" hole in center of
    of valve (#18) for an air bleed and run a 5/16" drill through the hole in crankcase to make sure it was cast ok and no flashing or debris.

Make sure battery is in good shape, right size or larger, and nuts and lockwashers fastening the cables to the posts. Any type of intermittent circuit, corrosion, loose connections, or bad battery switches can blow a regulator,

What part number regulator did you install?

1993 and later V6 blow off valve and thermostats parts drawing.jpg
    Last edited by SEAHORSE; 06-13-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    Thank you for your response. I was installing the CDI 193-4641 regulator which was a 5 wire regulator. Now I have installed the Johnson OEM part 0586271 4 wire upgraded regulator which I have not run yet.

4. Member
    With the mod you suggested, new regulator seems to be working longer than the 4 hours all the others did. I guss when you buy OEM you will know where that extra money went.

5. Member
    Make sure you're NOT using a GEL Battery...........ONLY use wet cell Batteries.
    Twin '05 175 Evinrudes, Model# E175MFXSOS