Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Well I swapped plugs and started it up yesterday and I don't think it beeped but I only ran the motor for a few minutes until my neighbor asked if I could shut it off. The Rinda did not pick up any codes either so maybe it was the plugs causing the beeps? However, the Rinda said it was idling around 1000-1200rpm. The Rinda also said ECM hours: 90.3. They can't be the total number of hours on the engine can it being that they are 2000s? The other engine I also had put the NGK plugs in though too and it didn't seem to cause any running problems the few minutes they were on the muffs but maybe this engine is a little more temperamental I guess.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's also possible the ECM's were changed at some point. Look at the run-time RPM categories and add them up to see if the times "jive".

Incorrect spark plugs can cause a wide and varying array of problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I will check that out. I ran this engine some more and it still seems to getting hot, the Rinda reads 25 degrees higher than each the gauges for each engine. This engine got to 200 degrees and was still climbing on the Rinda (175ish on gauge). The other one which still possibly has the original water pump as I have not changed it yet got to about 174 degrees and stabilized according to Rinda or 150 degrees on the gauge. However, my tachs read high compare to the Rinda about the same amount in the opposite direction so this engine shows idle at about 950 on the Rinda when the gauges will show 1200.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12