Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    Good information, but not exactly true anymore.

Victory is SCIII+ which is a combination of SCIV and SCVI, it the lightest rod of the group you mentioned and at $200 gets compared to rods almost three times its retail.

Legend Tournament was released at the Classic this year with a new blank material, SCIV+. Not a light as Victory due to the higher end finishes but is getting reviewed as one of the finest rods Croix has ever made and in some cases the spinning rods are getting reviewed as the best on the market.

I was part of the testing team for each of these series.
    How do the handle/cork thickness compare on the victory and new legend tournament?

I bought a couple victory, but hated the small diameter handles. Hoping the new legend tournament is different.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 716AP2 View Post
    How do the handle/cork thickness compare on the victory and new legend tournament?

I bought a couple victory, but hated the small diameter handles. Hoping the new legend tournament is different.
    Very similar. That was the big complaint about previous Legend Tournament, the bulb behind the seat. I hated it. I don't fish with my hand on the handle much, it's palming the reel.

3. Member
    Thanks for the breakdown ECobb and LegendX. I handled a Victory Grunt yesterday. Felt amazingly light for sure. I've got a 7'2 MH Expride that I bought for jig fishing but it seems "mushy" to me. Great sensitivity and very light but I guess the action is on the moderate side of fast. I just prefer a faster rod for my jig fishing. Are the Victory and LTB pretty fast? The Cashion 7' H worm and jig rod seemed to get into the backbone pretty dang quick while feeling it out in the store, but being a heavy I would expect that.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

4. Member
    The Vitus rods are really good. They are made down the road in Harrison Ar. by the company that made Falcon before they made the move to China, in fact the models pretty much mimic the Falcons. I have the finesse jig rod which started as the Eakins rod years ago. They have the Amistad. Head turner stickbait rod ect.
    A couple boys down on Bull Shoals started the deal and Jewell is handling the sales and distribution to dealers. You can also order direct from Jewell.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    I plan to swap over to Made in the USA Rods very soon, So far I found some info: American made rods include Cajun Rods(Ohio), Lamiglas(Washington), Pride(Texas), and G-Loomis. St Croix and Falcon offer American made in their top priced rods. Still waiting to hear back from Castaway Rods.
    I'm not sure Lamiglassis still in business. Billy Kistler used to own All Star and Castaway and now Pride. He Uses The NFC blank and sells them at boat shows Personally if I wanted a NFC blank I'd buy a older model Z bone. or Helium.
    Trey still assembles his rods in Texas and I have some of the NFC and new blanks and they are really close in quality.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    I'm not sure Lamiglassis still in business. Billy Kistler used to own All Star and Castaway and now Pride. He Uses The NFC blank and sells them at boat shows Personally if I wanted a NFC blank I'd buy a older model Z bone. or Helium.
    Trey still assembles his rods in Texas and I have some of the NFC and new blanks and they are really close in quality.
    while Kistlers are assembled in USA, the blanks they use now are made overseas (I believe China).

i started building rods 2 years ago. I built a rod that’s equivalent to a ZBone (NFC XRay blank, SiC guides, etc) and it only cost around $185
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    while Kistlers are assembled in USA, the blanks they use now are made overseas (I believe China).

i started building rods 2 years ago. I built a rod that’s equivalent to a ZBone (NFC XRay blank, SiC guides, etc) and it only cost around $185
    I know, I have Zbones in both the older NFC and the newer imported blank. They are close enough that couldn't tell the difference unless I looked to see if the Kistler logo was the newer or older. At least they are still assembled here by American workers.
    If your building a Xray with Torzites for $ 185 thats a good deal.
    I'm not a rod builder but the Torzites guide set is about $ 150 isn't it ?
    Last edited by rangerjockey; 06-19-2022 at 12:07 PM.

8. Member
    I know, I have Zbones in both the older NFC and the newer imported blank. They are close enough that couldn't tell the difference unless I looked to see if the Kistler logo was the newer or older. At least they are still assembled here by American workers.
    If your building a Xray with Torzites for $ 185 thats a good deal.
    I'm not a rod builder but the Torzites guide set is about $ 150 isn't it ?
    I know the pre2021 ZBones use a mix of SiC guides and a Torzite tip top. They used to strictly use SiC, then went to SiC guide train with a Torzite tip. Based on current details, Kistler only lists Torzite ring (singular) and semi-conventional SiC guides (plural) so I’m assuming that’s how they are still being built.. otherwise they would be marketing as a full Torzite train..

depending on the guide sizes, a typical semi-conventional Torzite guide train would be like $110 ($20 size 10, $15 size 8, $10 size 5s (about 7 of them)

basically my build is an NFC XRay SJ736, SiC guides, cork/composite handle, Fuji ECS reel seat. Even if I used Torzites, I would still be around $240..

Either way, if he found a rod that’s as sensitive as an XRay with better quality control, that’s awesome and I wanna know the company so I can try them out myself haha
    Last edited by ECobb91; 06-19-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    I own quite a few Exprides and older NFC blank Kistlers, and now getting into St. Croix LTB and Victory. In my opinion Kistler lost its identity when they moved away from using the American made Gary Loomis NFC blank, it’s too bad really, the old Helium’s were special rods, you don’t see used ones for sale, they are like gold….the wiggle wart of fishing rods.

OK, so Exprides have the reputation of being the best rod for the money, if you are willing to spend almost $300. I have been waiting for an American made rod to challenge the Expride. I think it has happened, the new St. Croix LTB is just as light and very close in balance which is a big improvement for St. Croix. Further, the LTB is more comfortable in hand and has a 15 yr warranty that crushes Expride and most other rod builders as well.

10. Member
    American Legacy has or at least did have a bunch of NFC KLX'S Heliums and Z Bones . I picked up 3. There was also some newer blanks and also some Feel N Reels.

11. Member
    I wasn't impressed with the Kistlers I tried. I had a KLX and an Argon and for the money there were much better rods. I haven't bought anything just yet. When it comes to rods I've determined if I can't put my hands on it first I won't buy it. I've been through so many rods the last few years it's embarrassing. I just keep coming back to my old favorites. I really want to like Cashion and St. Croix because my favorite local shop carries both brands. They say they can order any rod from either brand for me to take a look at and if I don't buy it they just put it out on the rack with the others.

Hydro870 - that's encouraging about the LTB. I messaged Caleb Kuphall about the 7'1 MH he uses for jig fishing and he couldn't say enough good things about it. He's sponsored by St. Croix now but seems like a guy that would shoot straight. You're evaluation lines up with his about the lightness and improved balance.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    I wasn't impressed with the Kistlers I tried. I had a KLX and an Argon and for the money there were much better rods. I haven't bought anything just yet. When it comes to rods I've determined if I can't put my hands on it first I won't buy it. I've been through so many rods the last few years it's embarrassing. I just keep coming back to my old favorites. I really want to like Cashion and St. Croix because my favorite local shop carries both brands. They say they can order any rod from either brand for me to take a look at and if I don't buy it they just put it out on the rack with the others.

Hydro870 - that's encouraging about the LTB. I messaged Caleb Kuphall about the 7'1 MH he uses for jig fishing and he couldn't say enough good things about it. He's sponsored by St. Croix now but seems like a guy that would shoot straight. You're evaluation lines up with his about the lightness and improved balance.
    Thats awesome you have shop close by willing to work with you. The only rod I have in the LTB lineup is the 7'3" HXF "power finesse" and I really like it. It weighs in at 4.65oz, which I believe is slightly heavier than a similar victory series, but that's probably because of the milled aluminum pieces. IMO, the aluminum pieces are really nice and the extra weight around the reel seat probably really help with the balance of the rod. With a tatula elite SV on it, I've found that it balances right at the hook keeper, which is about 1-2" in front of the aluminum locking nut for the reel. Balances really well and feels much lighter because of it. I don't have the same model in the victory lineup. Closes I have is the 7'3" HMF "flip'n" model and I will say the LTB feels nicer than the victory for sure. Victory is still a great rod though.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post

Different strokes.. I was getting a good discount and bought a few St. Croix's. I just never could love them with the exception of the Legend Glass and a 7ft medium Legend Extreme casting rod.
    That was one of those rods that are just special . I wish I had that one back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    Thats awesome you have shop close by willing to work with you. The only rod I have in the LTB lineup is the 7'3" HXF "power finesse" and I really like it. It weighs in at 4.65oz, which I believe is slightly heavier than a similar victory series, but that's probably because of the milled aluminum pieces. IMO, the aluminum pieces are really nice and the extra weight around the reel seat probably really help with the balance of the rod. With a tatula elite SV on it, I've found that it balances right at the hook keeper, which is about 1-2" in front of the aluminum locking nut for the reel. Balances really well and feels much lighter because of it. I don't have the same model in the victory lineup. Closes I have is the 7'3" HMF "flip'n" model and I will say the LTB feels nicer than the victory for sure. Victory is still a great rod though.
    They really go out of their way for the "regulars." Good info you posted.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

15. Member
    Different strokes.. I was getting a good discount and bought a few St. Croix's. I just never could love them with the exception of the Legend Glass and a 7ft medium Legend Extreme casting rod.
    That was one of those rods that are just special . I wish I had that one back.
    Yeah man, it's a very personal choice. My buddy swears by a certain brand that I can't stand, he doesn't like my Tatula either.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12