Thread: 99 200 efi

99 200 efi

Serial number og884664
    Have a problem not starting I'm not getting spark on cylinders 1,3,and 5 switched wires with 2,4,and 6 with number cylinder unhooked to check spark and no wires on 2,4,and 6 it started wondering if anyone has any ideas
    Last edited by Triton bass; 06-12-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Bad switchbox. One of them sends signal to computer to fire injectors, that’s why it started when you switched them.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Member
    Thanks I was leaning towards that but wasn't sure and wanted to hear other ideas

4. Member
    I really would like this motor running by the 26th have a tournament so I was wondering could I have a bad trigger as well.im still waiting on new switchboxes and was thinking if it could be trigger and should order it to

5. Member
    Ok it's not the switchbox changed it and cylinders 1,3,and 5 still no spark any ideas

6. Member
    Stator I would think.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Too much guessing.

Switchboxes should be replaced IN PAIRS. Very important.

It's unlikely to lose 3 cylinders on one bank because of a failed trigger. No impossible, but unlikely.

The best method to diagnose the system is to get a DVA and start testing with the Service Manual as your guide. Some (limited) failures can be identified with ohms testing.

Don't overlook GROUNDS to the switchboxes, or the BIAS circuit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I already ordered the stator and trigger hopefully that will take care of it

9. Member
    Changed stator and trigger now it will start and run pretty good at about 1500 to 2000 rpms but it will miss and die at low idle and if I give throttle it will bog really bad found my primer ball is week and when I pump it it leaks could this be causing the misfire

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Misfire- doubtful, but since it's a very obvious problem, you need to address it FIRST.

Did you perform a COMPLETE Sync-N-Link procedure?

Idle timing:?

WOT timing:?

Check spark on each individual cylinder by using a timing light clipped to each wire while watching the flashing pattern (good way to determine if one's breaking down as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    The primer bulb got it running better but still wouldn't idle without giving it some throttle took it to a guy and he checked all my electronics and adjusted advance timing and now it will run but if I idle very long it does not want to get on plane but he did say it was time for a rebuild 120 120 120 120 115 110

12. Member
    Those compression numbers are within spec, do t think that is the problem.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    do it again check last 2 first ^^^^^ agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................