2 hook winch strap?

My winch strap has two hooks about 30 inches apart I am confused on how to hook these to the boat. I know one is a safety but how do I hook them up when loading the boat?
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

Attach the short hook to the bow eye and the long hook to the hole in the bow stop post. It's a safety strap to insure your boat won't slide off in case your wench strap breaks.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Anyone know where to buy one of these? I replaced my winch strap on my 2017 Ranger Z21 and it didn't have the extra safety strap/hook like my original one did. I can't find one online.

4. mikesxpress
    Ebay has the 2 hook Ranger strap.

I switched to a Fulton winch which did not have the safety strap. Got some 3/8 chain, cut to fit, added clevis hooks to ends. Works fine. Vinyl coated cable also works.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    Anyone know where to buy one of these? I replaced my winch strap on my 2017 Ranger Z21 and it didn't have the extra safety strap/hook like my original one did. I can't find one online.
    Bass Pro or Cabelas have them.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

I did this. Chain with a hook from Amazon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

I have a separate cable setup. I do like the single strap system as you only have one hood going to the boat eye if I understand the decription correctly? Sometime getting that 2nd hook in or out can be awkward if you are doing it from deck or standing on trailer tongue bending down, etc. But I have a Skeeter, trailer may not be setup for that 2nd hook...

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I have a separate cable setup. I do like the single strap system as you only have one hood going to the boat eye if I understand the decription correctly? Sometime getting that 2nd hook in or out can be awkward if you are doing it from deck or standing on trailer tongue bending down, etc. But I have a Skeeter, trailer may not be setup for that 2nd hook...
    You can hook the safety chain hook to the eye of the wench strap hook. Then you only have one hook to the bow eye.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    You can hook the safety chain hook to the eye of the wench strap hook. Then you only have one hook to the bow eye.
    Hmm, good idea, I hadn't even thought of that. My hook eye is pretty small though, mostly filled by the strap iirc. I will have to double check but if it fits I will be super happy :).

EDIT - just went and checked, it's just a bit small. The hook will fit in the hole, but only up to the bend in the hook, it's not larger enough to allow the radius of the bend through... if that makes sense. Maybe I could get away with using some sort of ring through the hook hole, which I could then attach the safety cable hook to... Like a carabiner maybe, but more weight/load capacity.

EDIT 2 - well, in researching rings/carabiners, it appears most real biners have a load rating much, much higher than the winch or strap, so I suppose that would work fine, unless I am misunderstanding the load required? Here's one rated to 5500lbs Nominal Working Load, which is 1/5 of it's actual strength.

https://www.rei.com/product/471288/p...val-screw-link
    Last edited by 78Staff; 06-20-2022 at 12:01 AM.

:Yes, but I think it will be too big to fit the hole on the strap hook. Look at my posted pic, that's what I used to attach the chain to the trailer.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Hmm, good idea, I hadn't even thought of that. My hook eye is pretty small though, mostly filled by the strap iirc. I will have to double check but if it fits I will be super happy :).

EDIT - just went and checked, it's just a bit small. The hook will fit in the hole, but only up to the bend in the hook, it's not larger enough to allow the radius of the bend through... if that makes sense. Maybe I could get away with using some sort of ring through the hook hole, which I could then attach the safety cable hook to... Like a carabiner maybe, but more weight/load capacity.

EDIT 2 - well, in researching rings/carabiners, it appears most real biners have a load rating much, much higher than the winch or strap, so I suppose that would work fine, unless I am misunderstanding the load required? Here's one rated to 5500lbs Nominal Working Load, which is 1/5 of it's actual strength.

https://www.rei.com/product/471288/p...val-screw-link
    The space in my bow eye was also very tight for both. I just accessed from inside the bow and loosened the hook eye, lowered it some and retightened. Now I have more room to hook both to the bow eye.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate