2012 250proxs help

2012 250proxs
    #1B961952
    Went to get up plane and it felt like I hit something although I don't think I did. I was in 10ft. I let off and let it idle for a few and went to get back up and got halfway and there was some clanking and knocking and squeeling and didn't have the power to plane out. I shut it down and trolled back in. While I was trolling I had my gear shift in neutral and while the prop was spinning from trolling I could hear a grinding noise. Would a blown lower unit cause a clanking and squeeling noise? Compressor? Power head? I'm calling my mechanic tomorrow to see when he can look. Thoughts?
    Last edited by flipNfrog; 06-12-2022 at 02:21 PM.

2. Member
    Might be a spun hub,take the prop off and check the hub. If it’s the LU,you should see metal fragments on the magnet on the lower drain plug.

3. Member
    Thanks I'll check that out. Wouldn't a spun hub cause an increase in rpms when it let's loose? Just throwing it out there.

4. Member
    Only takes a couple minutes to pull the prop and confirm hub condition.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Yes thanks i will check this out today.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And check the gear lube, next.

Normal protocol is a visual inspection FIRST. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary (including belt, compressor, powerhead, etc)... check lube and perhaps separate gearcase from powerhead.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I dropped it off at the shop this morning and he "thinks" it's lower unit. Fingers crossed.