Thread: 2005 198 pumps

2005 198 pumps

I’d like to ask if anyone knows the part numbers for the pumps (bilges, pump out, aerator, hydro) I am
    going to upgrade them all I’d like to know the part numbers so I can order the same model just higher gpm. I’d like to order it all before I do a tear out so I have it all ready to go
    2005 Champion 198 SC
    2022 Yamaha sho 225hp

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No real part numbers for them, just get them by GPH and manufacturer Rule, Johnson etc. The should be all cartridge replacements.

3. Member
    If you are doing all of them don't overlook the recirculating pumps on the back of the live wells They're the most fun.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Getfished. Any advise on those will be appreciated. Those in particular are the ones I want redone for sure.
    2005 Champion 198 SC
    2022 Yamaha sho 225hp

5. Member
    Well yesterday I spent a couple hours pulling all the pumps in the bilge. Behind the fake wall you can see those pumps. You might want to do a couple things.

First , how bad do you really want to change them ?

Second, removing the hatch lid to the bilge will probably facilitate things quite a bit. Since I've got mine completely opened up to do some fiberglass repair I'm gonna change the recirc pumps on the back of the livewells. Looks like you can lay on your stomach on the back deck and maybe reach them by kinda working upside down. I have never done this but I think I will since I have it opened up. Not sure but it may require pulling out the thru livewell fitting. In that case make sure to use plenty of sealant around the thru well tube. I will probably put a piece of rag in the end of the tube. Apply a liberal dose of sealant and once pushed thru and attached I'll pull the rag. Might have to go around the perimeter inside and outside of the well with your finger to make sure the sealer has permeated any crevices or openings where it goes thru the livewell, don't want any leaks.

By the time I got all the pumps out of the bilge excluding the livewell recircs I had dislodged a kidney stone and spent 5 hours in the ER trying to get some relief. If I get back out there sometime this week I may get started removing those recirc pumps. They are both original equipment 08 and one will sometime squeal so I'm just gonna tackle both of them. Doesn't look like fun.

When I pulled all the other pumps and hoses I took plenty of pictures and used colored zip ties. Red to red , green to green and so on. I did this on the hose and also on the wiring .

I only hope I can replace with the same or something suitable that doesn't require additional modification. I will go back with stainless hose clamps also.
    Last edited by getfished; 06-13-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Steve, I'd definitely go back with SPX Flow. These are the Mayfair/Johnson pumps. I think they are a lot better than the Rule that Genmar used on their boats. I've changed more cartridges with the Rule. When I had 1 housing crack, I went with SPX. Cartridges are a lot easier to change then the Rule as well.

7. Member
    OK I'll see who has some I can order. I know if I order them I will follow through and get it done while the boat is down. I'll be 67 in a couple months and I've only got a few Houdini moves left in me. It'll probably take em all to get to those pumps. I'm kinda tenacious though.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I replaced my Aerate pump a couple of months ago and actually found the best price on Amazon (it's usually ebay). Now my wife has called me a tight ass for 45 years, so believe me I researched it . That one was a Johnson Pump 38703 Aerating Pump 750 GPH 90°. The ones for the recirc would be Johnson Pump 28703 Aerating Pump 750 GPH Straight. They also have some bilge pumps, both with and without float switches.