Thread: Lake Griffin

Lake Griffin

Was wondering if anyone could give me any tips for fishing Griffin. We have a tournament there, tomorrow.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels
    Favorite saying "JUST 1 MORE".

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Was wondering if anyone could give me any tips for fishing Griffin. We have a tournament there, tomorrow.
    Yea, put the boat in the water and go. look the day before

3. Banned
    Look offshore for isolated hydrilla or shell beds. Rattletraps, chatter baits or speed worms around hydrilla. Carolina rig around shell beds. Good luck.

4. Member
    Griffin has been dirty lately but the fish dont leave....I've always had good luck this time of year on 'traps along the farthest outside edge of the submerged grass- when you find 'em slow down and fish a big dark worm through the same area. Good luck!

5. Member
    Thanks guys
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

6. Member
    So how did it turn out?

7. Member
    ...yep - what happened?

8. Banned
    If You know anyone from Keene, there is a group of those folks that get together at Coach's™ in Inverness downtown..

You'll hear them.

9. Member
    So, we did ok. I caught 5, nothing big. My buddy got 3 but my livewell timer wasn't working as it should, so we lost 7-8 fish. I got the time today, hope to put it in this weekend. I was throwing a Gold/Black trap, and most of the time, they would take it on the pause. I hooked something BIG, and i mean BIG. He did a couple head shakes, and the trap came back. Not sure what it was. I also caught my 1st alligator gar, and he was on a trap, as well. I can say, its my 1st tourney since i been fishing in the club, that i came in with a limit, and i was happy about that. Any tricks to the trade on helping keep the fish alive in this 86 degree water temp, in our livewells? I have pool noodles to help calm them down, i gave G-Juice in my boat if need be. My livewell set up is a 3 way switch (RECIRC/EMPTY/AUTO) and then the switch on the console, for the pump, is AUTO/MANUAL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and once i get the new timer installed, that will help 100%. The new one comes on for 1 minute, and has 3 settings for how long it shuts off for. I figure for Fla weather, set it for 1 min ON, which is preset by factory, and then i will use the 3 min OFF setting. Theres a 1 min. OFF, theres a 3 min OFF and a 7 min OFF setting. Oh and BTW, i haven't really caught alot of fish on a trap, so kind of had to learn on the fly. I was doing the standard hookset, when i felt the strike, rather than a rod sweep and keeping the tension on it. It definately got my confidence up, on using a trap, here in florida.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

10. Member
    So, we did ok. I caught 5, nothing big. My buddy got 3 but my livewell timer wasn't working as it should, so we lost 7-8 fish. I got the time today, hope to put it in this weekend. I was throwing a Gold/Black trap, and most of the time, they would take it on the pause. I hooked something BIG, and i mean BIG. He did a couple head shakes, and the trap came back. Not sure what it was. I also caught my 1st alligator gar, and he was on a trap, as well. I can say, its my 1st tourney since i been fishing in the club, that i came in with a limit, and i was happy about that. Any tricks to the trade on helping keep the fish alive in this 86 degree water temp, in our livewells? I have pool noodles to help calm them down, i gave G-Juice in my boat if need be. My livewell set up is a 3 way switch (RECIRC/EMPTY/AUTO) and then the switch on the console, for the pump, is AUTO/MANUAL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and once i get the new timer installed, that will help 100%. The new one comes on for 1 minute, and has 3 settings for how long it shuts off for. I figure for Fla weather, set it for 1 min ON, which is preset by factory, and then i will use the 3 min OFF setting. Theres a 1 min. OFF, theres a 3 min OFF and a 7 min OFF setting. Oh and BTW, i haven't really caught alot of fish on a trap, so kind of had to learn on the fly. I was doing the standard hookset, when i felt the strike, rather than a rod sweep and keeping the tension on it. It definately got my confidence up, on using a trap, here in florida.
    Installed vents on my boat, big difference. Could easily toss multiple 5# in there and they were just fine.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/New_...ge-NPPVT2.html
    No chemicals needed, just vents, freshwater and that's it. And, yes, take your time cutting your bass boat.

11. Member
    I bought them back a couple years ago, before i moved down to Florida, but decided to not install them and sold them or sent them back. I can't remember. Make have to invest in them again, for cheap money. Does it help keep the water temp in the livewells lower?
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

12. Member
    I bought them back a couple years ago, before i moved down to Florida, but decided to not install them and sold them or sent them back. I can't remember. Make have to invest in them again, for cheap money. Does it help keep the water temp in the livewells lower?
    Good question. Probably, maybe, possibly, nope, yep.
    I'm sure it does something, removes gases, etc.
    Definitely makes a difference, really big difference.
    Even when supply fishing ... catching specks & such.

13. Member
    Very cool - sounds like you did OK....anytime you can learn something and have fun doing it all is great. Having the right rod with a good moderate action will help keep them pinned. BTW - highly doubtful you caught an Alligator Gar - more than likely it was a Long Nose Gar - they can get HUGE.....they also can jump 4 foot out of the water when hooked. I had a client catch one 51 inches long once and it jumped twice like a Sailfish!!