Non bass question

Wondering if walleye fishermen use down riggers on Clinton lake. Thanks for any info

2. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    In the past I’ve seen people use down-riggers on Clinton but I don’t know the outcome.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

I’ve seen them use them quite a bit for Stripers. I bet that a guy could catch some nice ones (Walleyes) pulling cranks in the Summer months. I caught several big Walleye the past 2 Winters on Clinton when I would go out and play with LiveScope. The sunken ponds between the marina and dam always have a bunch of fish in them in the Winter. Prior to learning how to best identify the species of the fish that I was seeing on LiveScope, I would simply run an A-rig through them or get right over the top of them and drop a jigging spoon to them. i soon learned that a lot of those fish in the ponds were Walleye. I call them “ponds” but I think that they were actually old strip pits.

4. Member
    Thanks, never used them before. Probably look the proverbial monkey and the football. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Thanks, never used them before. Probably look the proverbial monkey and the football. Lol
    Nah, you will do fine with them Joe. I had a portable set that would clamp onto my duck boat when I was growing up in Chicago. We would troll around inside the breakwalls for Coho and big Brown Trout really early in the year. They are VERY simple to use and a great way to get a bait to a very specific depth.