Trim / Tilt Pressure Relief Screw

2003 Mercury Optimax 135XL 1135D83AC S/N OT674472

I'm having some intermittent issues with the power tilt / trim. It works most of the time, but occasionally its dead. As a backup I tried to lower the motor manually by turning the nylon pressure relief screw on the side. It turns, but nothing happens - the motor doesn't drop. I kept turning until the screw was unthreaded and fluid started to just leak out - still no motion. Any ideas about the relief screw? Thanks.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    End of relief screw may be broken off down inside the trim system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion, Don. I pulled the nylon screw out, but unfortunately it appears to be fully intact.

Tom

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How many o-rings (total) were present on the manual relief screw?

Should be THREE (3), and approximately 3/8" long beveled surface beyond the smallest o-ring.

Have seen a number of them break that very last piece (just beyond o-ring) off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    There are 3 o-rings - it looks just like the relief screws pictured on the internet. One additional observation I noticed is that the relief screw works to the extent that I can stop the trim unit (motor running) from raising or lowering when the screw is moved out. That function works. I just can't manually move the motor up or down. It appears to be held tight even with quite a bit of pressure applied.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May have one of the rods/rams that is bent.

7. Member
    It won't manually move down from the full up position, so the two trim rams are unattached at that point. That leaves only the main center ram, which doesn't appear to have any bends in it. And since it sticks in any position from full up to full down, I don't think that rod is the cause. I was hoping this would be a common problem seen many times before, with an easy fix. I guess I'll have to live with it for a while and hope the tilt motor doesn't completely die and leave me stranded. Sounds like a project for the winter months.

Thanks for your help, Don - much appreciated.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely NOT something we see very often.

9. Member
    Is it possible that the pin at the top of the tilt ram is binding?

10. Member
    The tilt operation seems to move smooth and easy under motor power, so I don't think anything is binding. And I put quite a bit a force (hydraulic floor jack) trying to move it with the manual valve open and the motor didn't budge. My only guess is that there is a hydraulic valve somewhere in the system that's sticking. I will spray the area you suggested just in case.