Increase water psi - scoops, plug holes?

88 Mariner Mag II serial 0b384013 on a 89 Gambler 183 running the larger gear case with 8 pickup holes on each side of the gear case, casting # is 1647 9147. Is the correct part # for the inlet plate kit (“scoops”) 17280A 2?

Motor currently 4” below pad (high as I can get it where it is currently mounted on jackplate), would like to raise it but water pressure is around 12-15 psi so looking to increase that before I raise the motor. Would blocking off the top 2 or 3 holes as well be beneficial?

Thanks!
    Willie

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either would probably work for that setup. Recommended method is the high-speed scoops.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks as always Don!

Is 17280A 2 the right part # for the kit to cover the 8 hole pickups? And whatever the right part is, are you still able to get it?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    For an 8-hole pickup: Yes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I just wanna say.
    I was In the same situation with my promax. I got the scoops. Installed myself. Wow they work great. Much better pressure across the whole RPM range.
    can
    Od935509