Thread: Weak tell tale

Weak tell tale

I helped my buddy replace the water pump on his 96 200 efi (0T424081) and when he went to run it today it wouldn't really pee for him (just a dribble), even after waiting for the motor to come up to temp (he does not have a functioning water pressure gauge so I have no data to report there). While changing the water pump I noticed that there wasn't a seal that slides down over the driveshaft and seats on top of the water pump housing like there is on my 3l gear case. Is this normal on this motor to not have this seal? We are going to replace the thermostats next to rule those out, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't supposed to be a seal on top of the water pump before proceeding. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    0T424081 is not an accurate serial number for the engine described.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry, Don. 0G424081 is the serial

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Telltale on this engine comes from the thermostats. Hence, there will be little (or no) telltale, until (or unless) the thermostats open. Telltale may come and go, and is likely SCALDING HOT when present.

Did not have a slinger/washer from the factory on the standard gearcase (though there is no harm in using one).

Use Dawn Dishsoap on the impeller (never use grease). Make sure all THREE (3) gaskets were replaced.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor