Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

24P Tempest vs 23P Trophy

Took my 2022 RT 188P with Mercury 115 Pro XS CT out today for its first run with a new 23P Trophy with solid plugs. Had to replace my OEM 23P Tempest b/c I chipped 1 blade. It's a little apples and oranges b/c my results today were with a 230# passenger vs just me with the Tempest which has medium PVS plugs.Prior results with Tempest was good holeshot, 51.7 mph (GPS) at 6300 rpms (Vessel View). Roostertail about 1' above cowl. Good to very good prop.Today with Trophy, 45.8 mph GPS at 6450 rpms (not a typo) per VV even though Rev limiter is supposed to be 6300. Slower hole shot, same or slightly less bow lift,, cornering about the same, possibly less grip. Roostertail was at cowl level or 1' above cowl. It was a little better in 1' whitecaps, but not significantly bettrr.I expected a little better performance and response, but was a little disappointed with the Trophy. Will try again by myself.
    Last edited by Dmy-rt188p; 09-29-2022 at 11:35 AM. Reason: incorrect title

2. Member
    I've never understood why the CT motors are put on a 1300# hull. I wouldn't want the steering torque from a 14.5" wheel. When I had a Ranger 340-V, it had 24" and 25" Turbo props and they wore me out.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Isn’t the trophy a small hub? Like you need an exhaust ring
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Member
    The hubs were identical for both props. In fact, I used the Tempest hub for the Trophy and am keeping the new hub as a spare. The Trophy is a smaller diameter which I did not realize until I pulled the Tempest. Didn't expect higher RPMS from a 4-blade with similar pitch.
    There isn't much feedback from either prop with my Baystate hydraulic steering.

Not the hub. The diameter of the prop barrel . The Trophy is much smaller than the Tempest. Many use an “exhaust seal” to make them closer to the larger props. Have a picture of the trophy mounted on yours

6. Member
    I don't have a photo, but the outer diameter of the hub appears to be the same on the Trophy and Tempest as they both mounted on the lower unit without a significant gap in either diameter nor parallel to the drive shaft.

7. Member
    It's the outer diameter of the blades which appear to be smaller on the Trophy (my guestimation) since the 4-blade turns higher RPMs with the same 23P than the Tempest. I did not measure the outer diameter of the blades when I held them hub to hub when both props were off of the lower unit.

8. Member
    Trophy Plus has a 4.25" barrel and the blade diameter is 13.75"
    Tempest Plus has a 4.75" barrel and the blade diameter is 14.625"
    The CT version of the Merc 115 4S has a 4.75" exhaust

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

10. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^

11. Member
    Thanks all. Obviously, I learned something about props today. Just ordered the exhaust seal. I presume directing the exhaust gas to its intended location will prevent over-revving at WOT and possibly getting better bite and top end.

The PVS plugs normally don’t effect wide open but with that much venting from the ring I think it could be an issue

13. Member
    So I ordered the prop exhaust seal and it arrived today. Been searching for installation instructions without success. I know it's a simple ring, but I have a couple questions for those with experience.

1. Does anything hold it in place other than friction against the lower unit and the prop?

2. Do you apply marine grease on the inner or outer surfaces?

3. Do you still torque the prop nut to the same spec?

Thanks.

14. Member
    If you are talking about what I think you are it goes over the barrel of the prop and is just held on with friction. When installed it has nowhere to go. It will not affect the torque spec as it is just a ring installed on the outside of the barrel of the prop.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I've never understood why the CT motors are put on a 1300# hull. I wouldn't want the steering torque from a 14.5" wheel. When I had a Ranger 340-V, it had 24" and 25" Turbo props and they wore me out.
    I have one on rt 188 2018 it’s just so they can run a big wheel no torque steer with hydraulic steering love mine

16. Member
    Well, I was finally able to try out my new 4-blade Trophy 23P after installing the exhaust ring seal. Recall that the new Trophy has solid plugs and a slightly smaller diameter than the OEM Tempest Plus 23P. I was able to achieve 47.6 mph (GPS) at 6300 RPMs (Vessel View). The air temp was in the high 80s and water temp was 75 with a slight chop on the water. I believe the hole shot was a little slower than the Tempest with medium hole plugs, but it did not slip during fast turns. I calculated the prop slippage at 18% at WOT and 13% at 5000 RPMs (40 mph) with the Trophy. My Tempest ran 51.7 at 6300 RPMs calculating slippage at 13%. Like the Tempest, my Vessel View showed slightly over the rev limiter when fully trimmed. The rooster tail was about 1' over the cowl. I'll be interested to see if my nicked Tempest performs the same after it is repaired and balanced by Mark Croxton. Either way, I now have a back-up prop which performs about the same as my OEM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmy-rt188p View Post
    Well, I was finally able to try out my new 4-blade Trophy 23P after installing the exhaust ring seal. Recall that the new Trophy has solid plugs and a slightly smaller diameter than the OEM Tempest Plus 23P. I was able to achieve 47.6 mph (GPS) at 6300 RPMs (Vessel View). The air temp was in the high 80s and water temp was 75 with a slight chop on the water. I believe the hole shot was a little slower than the Tempest with medium hole plugs, but it did not slip during fast turns. I calculated the prop slippage at 18% at WOT and 13% at 5000 RPMs (40 mph) with the Trophy. My Tempest ran 51.7 at 6300 RPMs calculating slippage at 13%. Like the Tempest, my Vessel View showed slightly over the rev limiter when fully trimmed. The rooster tail was about 1' over the cowl. I'll be interested to see if my nicked Tempest performs the same after it is repaired and balanced by Mark Croxton. Either way, I now have a back-up prop which performs about the same as my OEM.
    Good update. I would expect both of those props on your boat/motor when at optimal PTP and setback to achieve slip numbers at 10 or below.

Took my 2022 RT 188P with Mercury 115 Pro XS CT out today for its first run with a new 23P Trophy with solid plugs. Had to replace my OEM 23P Tempest b/c I chipped 1 blade. It's a little apples and oranges b/c my results today were with a 230# passenger vs just me with the Tempest which has medium PVS plugs.
    Prior results with Tempest was good holeshot, 51.7 mph (GPS) at 6300 rpms (Vessel View). Roostertail about 1' above cowl. Good to very good prop.
    Today with Trophy, 45.8 mph GPS at 6450 rpms (not a typo) per VV even though Rev limiter is supposed to be 6300. Slower hole shot, same or slightly less bow lift,, cornering about the same, possibly less grip. Roostertail was at cowl level or 1' above cowl. It was a little better in 1' whitecaps, but not significantly bettrr.

I expected a little better performance and response, but was a little disappointed with the Trophy. Will try again by myself.
    Well as Don Weed told me when I mentioned my 150 PROXS was turning at 6100 RPM, congratulations you just over revved your engine. I thought a limiter would kick in at 6000 but evidently not. Maybe Mercury did this on purpose, so they didn't have to warranty them.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

19. Member
    Here's an update on my adventures with a different prop and PTP. Took my Trophy 4-blade out yesterday. Since my last test run, I raised the manual jack plate up to a 4.5" PTP. My original information that the PTP was 6" was off by a little. This time, I used a level and measured each distance to the garage slab and subtracted. The original PTP was 5". After raising my motor, I achieved 48.1 mph (GPS) at 6300 RPMs with the rooster tail about even with the cowl. Again, the motor revved up to 6420 RPMs when over-trimmed. The hole shot was a little better (from 5.6/5.8 seconds to 4.9 seconds). The boat ran better in 1.5' whitecaps (softer bounce and very little splash over the helm). Boat felt a little lighter on the water and steering was good. The interesting part was that I lost 1 mph when cruising at 5500 RPMs.

I am waiting for my 23P 3-blade Tempest Plus to be returned from Croxton after being repaired and adding cup. I want to try it at 4.5" PTP and then try both at 4.0" PTP.

20. Member
    Here's an update on my adventures with a different prop and PTP. Took my Trophy 4-blade out yesterday. Since my last test run, I raised the manual jack plate up to a 4.5" PTP. My original information that the PTP was 6" was off by a little. This time, I used a level and measured each distance to the garage slab and subtracted. The original PTP was 5". After raising my motor, I achieved 48.1 mph (GPS) at 6300 RPMs with the rooster tail about even with the cowl. Again, the motor revved up to 6420 RPMs when over-trimmed. The hole shot was a little better (from 5.6/5.8 seconds to 4.9 seconds). The boat ran better in 1.5' whitecaps (softer bounce and very little splash over the helm). Boat felt a little lighter on the water and steering was good. The interesting part was that I lost 1 mph when cruising at 5500 RPMs.

I am waiting for my 23P 3-blade Tempest Plus to be returned from Croxton after being repaired and adding cup. I want to try it at 4.5" PTP and then try both at 4.0" PTP.
    Good update. You are definitely on the right track. If you can scare 50mph in that boat with the grip and handling you want, then you will have it tuned in. You GOTTA get a prop setup that will not over-rev the engine, though. Especially now in hot lake water conditions... it will rev even higher in 50-60 degree water. You are leaving a lot on the table until you get that straightened out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast