2012 Evinrude Etec Stalls Once in a While

Hey guys,

I have an issue where my 175 Etec will stall out once in a while. It only happens when I'm docking. I come into the dock at an angle, go into neutral, then at the end I crank the motor all the way to the dock and put in reverse so I end up perfectly at the dock. It will stall out sometimes when I go form neutral to reverse, I assume this is because the prop is still spinning in forward slowly but when docking I only have the motor in gear and no added power so it's not like the prop is spinning that fast.

I'm just looking for recomendation on the best way to avoid stalling out, do I just have to be careful to leave it in neutral longer? Or could this be a sign of something else? It has never stalled out any other way.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Worn spark plugs will cause this sometimes, they like a tight gap of .028 or .030 Also a clogged exhaust pressure sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Worn spark plugs will cause this sometimes, they like a tight gap of .028 or .030 Also a clogged exhaust pressure sensor.
    Great, thanks for the info Bassmeister. I will check the exhaust pressure sensor and clean it (or is it best to replace it?) I will also check the spark plugs.

4. Member
    It is not the sensor that clogs. It is the metal fitting in the adapter housing that clogs with carbon. Remove the fitting, clean out the carbon and reinstall.
    see the parts catalog, cylinder and crankcase, reference #10 5001298 *FITTTING, Exhaust back pressure
    https://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=...-4f28b0b531c6#
    Last edited by Bighare2; 06-09-2022 at 06:55 PM.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    When was the last time the small filter in the VST was cleaned/replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    When was the last time the small filter in the VST was cleaned/replaced?
    The filter in the VST was replaced 2 years ago. I have put on about 200hrs since it was replaced.