Thread: Docking boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Docking boat

Coming in from the lake I come around the corner of a cove where I launched earlier in the day and the dock is full of people fishing they seen I needed to use the dock but some just stared at me like buffoons and refused reel their lines in until I asked them and they looked at me like it's my fault I can't tie my boat up,have you ever had this happen?

I'm more surprised that fishing is allowed on a boat dock. You can not where I fish.

3. Member
    Is the dock posted "No Fishing"? Even if it's posted, I've encountered many that decide to fish and/or swim from these docks.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I'm more surprised that fishing is allowed on a boat dock. You can not where I fish.
    Same, I besides I would think they could take a few minute break to let you load the boat
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    In this day and time you can't assume anything. There seem to be plenty of people who haven't got a clue. Early spring I put in below Chickamauga Dam at a public ramp. The water was low 60's temperature and the current was moving pretty good as the ramp wasn't far below the Dam. When I came in about mid day there was a woman standing on the ramp and 3 kids swimming on top of the ramp. I idled up and they didn't budge, I finally was able to tie up to the dock and she just stood right in the middle of the ramp while the kids were swimming. I got my truck and backed down to the ramp and she didn't budge. I stopped and waited a minute and finally put it in park and stepped out. I politely informed her that I needed to back the trailer in to get my boat. She said "OK" and moved over but didn't say anything to the kids swimming. Unbelievable, I backed down a ways and the kids finally got the message and moved aside. When I loaded by boat I said that the water was a little cold for swimming but they said, "no it feels great"! We live in a world of entitled people and it doesn't matter how crazy, rude, or impolite something is, people feel they are entitled to do it. Well my rant is over. My take is to just be patient and polite. Just because others are selfish and rude doesn't mean I have to drop to their level.

6. Member
    Had it happen a few yrs back.
    Older couple had their chairs on the ramp, when I came back to the dock.
    They loudly proclaimed they couldn’t fish because of the boat s.

Well - Duh!!

7. Member
    Happens all the time here and the docks aren’t big enough for even two boats to tie, I just pull up and try and be polite first. Typically drift in or use the trolling motor if it’s windy. When close to have a conversation I simply tell them where I’m going with the boat. If everyone is reasonable it’s usually not a problem. If not, I’m going to use the whole dock and it is what it is, the boat’s coming in

Also, if there’s kids and mom and dad are no help I usually talk to the kids, most of the time they take the hint even if the parents can’t.
    Last edited by XingEyeballs; 06-08-2022 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    In this day and time you can't assume anything. There seem to be plenty of people who haven't got a clue. Early spring I put in below Chickamauga Dam at a public ramp. The water was low 60's temperature and the current was moving pretty good as the ramp wasn't far below the Dam. When I came in about mid day there was a woman standing on the ramp and 3 kids swimming on top of the ramp. I idled up and they didn't budge, I finally was able to tie up to the dock and she just stood right in the middle of the ramp while the kids were swimming. I got my truck and backed down to the ramp and she didn't budge. I stopped and waited a minute and finally put it in park and stepped out. I politely informed her that I needed to back the trailer in to get my boat. She said "OK" and moved over but didn't say anything to the kids swimming. Unbelievable, I backed down a ways and the kids finally got the message and moved aside. When I loaded by boat I said that the water was a little cold for swimming but they said, "no it feels great"! We live in a world of entitled people and it doesn't matter how crazy, rude, or impolite something is, people feel they are entitled to do it. Well my rant is over. My take is to just be patient and polite. Just because others are selfish and rude doesn't mean I have to drop to their level.
    Honestly, they probably aren't being selfish or entitled, they are likely just clueless.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    I missed all that drama for most of 15 years when I lived on the lake and could drop my boat in the water from my boat lift. Now that I am back to trailering I am becoming reacquainted with all the nuances of dealing with the public.

10. Banned
    we have signs for no fishing from the dock, but people ignore them

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    we have signs for no fishing from the dock, but people ignore them
    same in OHIO
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Don’t get me started. The lake just a few miles from my house has a $12 ramp fee. In the afternoon the dock is loaded with bobber fisherpersons who don’t speak enough English to read the sign or know that there’s a fishing dock on the other side of the parking lot. In addition The parking lot and ramp is a long walk from the dock which puts the boat out of sight, so stowing all rods and electronics before tying up at the dock seems prudent.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Each of those fishing lines is potentially wrapped around your prop shaft when they break off.

14. Member
    As Ron White would say, "can't fix stupid".
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Honestly, they probably aren't being selfish or entitled, they are likely just clueless.
    nah...morons!

16. Member
    Happens all the time around here. I don’t ask them to move, I just dock wherever I want and it’s usually right where they’re fishing. Had a family with a bunch of kids using the courtesy dock last week even though there is tons of bank AND a fishing dock 20 yards away. They pulled their lines in fast cuz I wasn’t stopping to wait.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Happens all the time around here. I don’t ask them to move, I just dock wherever I want and it’s usually right where they’re fishing. Had a family with a bunch of kids using the courtesy dock last week even though there is tons of bank AND a fishing dock 20 yards away. They pulled their lines in fast cuz I wasn’t stopping to wait.
    Hope you pull your prop frequently.

18. Member
    Couple guys waiting to put in and pull out. I was next up, had the boat tied up and was literally backing the trailer down the ramp when 5 or 6 yaks paddle straight through everyone idling in line and took up both ramp lanes. I understand it's a public launch and we all have the right to use it but there is literally a 1/2 mile long beach right next to the ramp. I decided if these guys don't give a shit then neither do I. Gave them a warning beep and proceeded down the ramp. Guy one slides his yak over but guy two just stands there with a stupid look on his face like "what you gonna do?". Trailer vs yak...Trailer won....LOL.

19. Member
    I thought I was the only one to put up with the ignorant,guess not!

20. Member
    I fished a fairly remote, local pond last night. As I pulled in to leave, a 30-something guy with a stand-up paddleboard on a sedan pulls up and parks. It's a sand ramp, with about 20' of sand beach to the sides. As I walked to my truck, he drops his paddleboard right in the middle of the ramp, then proceeds to make two more lazy trips back to his parked car for his water bottle and then to leave his keys. I don't get pissed at minor stuff like this, but am truly amazed by just how "unobservant" folks can be. I hope the mosquitos were fierce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast