Naples recommendations for end of July?

I'm heading to Naples at the end of July for a few days with the family, and was wondering if you guys have any advice on where I might be able to put a 4th grader on some fish? She's really interested in fishing, and would love to get her hooked for life! I've never been to Naples and don't really know anything about what fishing opportunities exist around there. To be honest, I'm not even sure exactly WHERE in Naples I'm going to, as it's the wife's friends place. So just looking for some general information.

I mostly likely won't have a ton of spare time to go fishing, so I need something quick and easy to get bit. We'd most likely be fishing from shore, or MAYBE hire a guide for half a day...but that's a long shot

Are there any canals in the area that have Largemouth or Peacocks in them where we could bank fish?
    Are there any good piers or anything to saltwater fish?
    Are there any largemouth guides not too far from Naples, maybe an hour drive at the most?
    Anything else you'd guys recommend?

I appreciate any advice you share!
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    Go north through Bonita across the bridge. The very S end of Estero Island is Lovers Key SP. Turn into the State Park (not on the bay side) take the free tram to the beach. There are kayaks for rent there very reasonable. Even if the wind is blowing you are in the mangroves and small bays and channels and sea trout and snook can be thick in there. No motorized crafts are allowed back there. You don't need anything special a M or ML rod a little heavier leader than freshwater and what ever weights you would use for fishing around home. Get or bring a minnow bucket and some live shrimp and dead will work in a pinch. Any shore access to any bridge in the current from the tides trying to equalize and being forced through that funnel and flukes on a jig head. Zoom Tiny Arkansas Shiner on a gold B fish N 3/16 H2O jig is my go to. The small profile and a slightly larger jig head than you might normally fish back home w a 3" plastic on the due to current. Very snaggy around bridges. Saltwater they are there when they are there and move with the winds and tidal current. Better to try 3 bridges in an hour than cast with out catching for an hour. Hit four corners if there is access at a particular bridge. I fish LM in the in-laws golf course ponds but can't help you get access. Get a grouper sandwich at Doc's in Bonita Beach and have a beer for me too!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grindstone View Post
    Go north through Bonita across the bridge. The very S end of Estero Island is Lovers Key SP. Turn into the State Park (not on the bay side) take the free tram to the beach. There are kayaks for rent there very reasonable. Even if the wind is blowing you are in the mangroves and small bays and channels and sea trout and snook can be thick in there. No motorized crafts are allowed back there. You don't need anything special a M or ML rod a little heavier leader than freshwater and what ever weights you would use for fishing around home. Get or bring a minnow bucket and some live shrimp and dead will work in a pinch. Any shore access to any bridge in the current from the tides trying to equalize and being forced through that funnel and flukes on a jig head. Zoom Tiny Arkansas Shiner on a gold B fish N 3/16 H2O jig is my go to. The small profile and a slightly larger jig head than you might normally fish back home w a 3" plastic on the due to current. Very snaggy around bridges. Saltwater they are there when they are there and move with the winds and tidal current. Better to try 3 bridges in an hour than cast with out catching for an hour. Hit four corners if there is access at a particular bridge. I fish LM in the in-laws golf course ponds but can't help you get access. Get a grouper sandwich at Doc's in Bonita Beach and have a beer for me too!
    Nothing beats a couple Coronas and a grouper sandwich beachside at Doc's...

OP, you might try Wiggin's Pass also. Close to Naples. Although I don't know how to get there by land...

4. Member
    Find out if your wife's friends place has any canal or lakes in her neighborhood. It is easy and you would be surprised at the number of fish you can catch in a Florida neighborhood pond or canal. You can get some shiners and a bobber and it would be great fun. Just be alert for gators/snakes if you are fishing from shore.

5. Member
    Great advice guys, thank you! Sounds like a blast!
    2012 Nitro Z8
    225 Mercury Pro XS

6. Member
    Peacocks in Golden Isles. Bank fishing is possible in some areas. Watch for snakes, including pythons, alligators, tegus, etc. Have a good time. Wear a big hat, insect repellent and sunscreen. Carry water, is hot.

7. Member
    Shoot me a PM. I can get you out this weekend on my skiff.