Listing to Port Side

2021 CX21 Pro with a typical set-up of three batteries port side one on starboard, two 8' power poles, hydraulic jack plate, one 12" graph at console and one on the bow.

At slow speed (no wake zone) boat rides level, however once you begin to get on plane boat list dramatically to the port side when I have a passenger on board and list slightly when I am by myself. Problem can be fixed with trim and jack plate and is more or an annoyance than anything, I have been in other brands and none them seem to have this problem. Have any of you encountered this problem and if so what did you do to correct it.

Another issue I have is chine walk when I hit 69 mph and cannot seems to get more than 5,500 - 5,800 rpm out of it. Not running much weight in the boat as far as tackle, but with two people the walk is fairly bad. I know the boat is capable of much more than 69 mph. Any suggestions? Weight distribution, added weight, etc.

Love everything else about the new boat, just would like to get these issues worked out. Any help and or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    balancing a boat is tough. I had the opposite list before I started moving tackle around (heavy to the back and to port for me), and filling the port livewell with water
    to counter balance me. I have a 31 series cranking battery that adds extra weight to Starboard and my weight that I needed to counter balance. I also strive to keep
    a full tank of gas. With all that, I have been able to shift the chine from 62/63 to 69mph and easier to drive thru it.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

3. Member
    My boat doesn't really walk until 71/72, which I don't see with two people and a tournament load on my beat up prop :). But I'd do what is said above, balance the boat (level on the deck surface while changing how you load equipment). If that doesn't work for you, move a battery and try again.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Moving my trolling battery over with cranking battery and moving my charger fixed mine completely. It took 2- 6ft 4ga battery wires, one junction block

5. Member
    If you will set your trim at about 7 on your gauge it will not lean, she just gets up and goes.

As far as walking, best advice i can give you is to get in some wide-open water area where you can make a big open turn while steering to the left keeping constant pressure to the left on your wheel, all while trimming up, don't jerk the wheel just keep pressure to the left. You might also check your engine to see if there is any play by shaking it to the left or right. If there is a lot of play check your jam nut on the starboard side of you motor on the steering, should be a one-inch nut with an allen head screw, that nut should be really tight, if not loosen the set screw and screw it out to take up any slack. Hope this helps.

6. Member
    i have a 2022 cx20 pro. (24hrs) As Rodney says jack plate on 7 or 8 will help the list a lot. I agree 1000% with the chine walking. In my boat i have 47 lbs of tackle (yes i weighed it) my 3 heaviest tackle trays are in the storage box behind the passenger seat. Rod box has 14 bait casters and 3 spinning rods. Starboard front box has a hoodie and 2 rain suits. Storage behind drivers seat has throw cushion, cull beam and a spare inflatable life jacket. My boat top speed is with jack plate on 3 69.3 mph 5830 rpm's and then it walks so bad you cant drive out of it. Jack plate from 6 to 10 top speed 68.7 5850 rpm's doesn't walk as bad. Any higher on the jack plate the walk continue to get less but top speed continues to drop. All these speeds are with just me in the boat, live wells empty and 66% fuel. Now if the temp is over 85 degress both wells full it is a dawg out of the hole. i have to run the jack plate up to 16-17 to get it out of the hole. With my partner and his gear my boat will only run 67.4 mph. i am truly disappointed about these issues, everything else i love about the boat.My boat is going back to the dealer next week to see what they can find / fix. BTW i run a 24 fury.

7. Member
    Trim at seven not jack plate.