Thread: Smoked salmon

Smoked salmon

I want to try my hand at smoking some salmon fillets. I've checked the internet on do's and don'ts. Temps were all over the place as well as what wood to use. Brining was also mentioned. I'm looking for tips from anyone here that has smoked salmon and what was used and at what temp.

2. Member

I have been thinking about trying this one
    Fish have fins, they swim

I just do this at 200*. After brining and drying, I brush maple syrup, sprinkle some brown sugar and cracked black pepper on top. I use whatever wood I have handy. Experiment. It’s important to let it dry before smoking.

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

I'm a little different on this one. I don't want a traditional bbq taste or style on my fish. I don't brine. First check for any small little bones. Coat the fish with olive oil. Salt and pepper.
    Glaze
    1/2 cup mayo
    1/3 cup stone ground mustard
    2 Tbls fresh dill
    Zest of one lemon
    Mix well
    Coat fish with glaze

Place fish on a grate and have a piece of foil for under rack.
    I run my smoker at 275 and use apple wood. I've done the same thing on a grill at 550 temp. Cook times are only thing that changes.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

5. Member
    I’d say the most important step is using wild caught salmon. If it’s orange meat, it’s not worth it. Farm-raised is sooooo nasty to me

6. Member
    I brine mine for 12-24 hours in water, orange juice, some brown sugar and a tad of salt. Dry them skin side down on a brown paper bag or uncoated wrapping paper for 12 hours uncovered in the fridge. Smoke on my pellet as low as it will go (180°) till they are 150° IT. You can mop them with a mix of maple syrup & orange juice for a yummy sweet treat. Makes awesome dip for a party to.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Member
    I smoke these quite often use different types of seasonings. Most commercial bought salmon rubs do fine. My local market will marinate fish for you. I choose a bourbon brown sugar marinade it it comes out great.
    I smoke a bit higher...around 225. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

I have been on a diet for almost a year. I would say for the last 10 months or so I have eaten salmon every Sunday. I jokingly call it Salmon Sunday. I show people pictures of my salmon steak and tell them how I cook it and most are in disbelief that I fix it in a toaster oven and its done in 20 minutes. I could easily post 30+ different pictures of Salmon Sunday. Its not smoked salmon its simply seasoned and cooked salmon steak. If interested in a 20 minute toaster over recipe I will share.

9. Member
    I throw a little rub on mine and set it on the smoker at 240-250. I pull it at a internal temp of 145. I really like to put a fine layer of BBQ sauce on it when it first comes off the grill. I've tried several different rubs and don't really have a favorite. I think I'll try the maple syrup deal next time instead of the BBQ sauce.

10. Member
    I rub mine with old bay and blackened seasoning. Cook it on top of a soaked cedar board on the grill. Pull it off when it starts to flake apart.