New SHO VF250LB Break-in

I just finished the second hour of break-in on my new 250. How important is it go full throttle during the next 8 hrs of the 10 hr break-in? My lake has a lot of boat traffic and gets pretty rough. It's tough to go full throttle. I ran it up to to 4500rpm but most of the time it was at mid 3000's. Is that OK or do I have to find a way to open it up? The manual says hours 3 thru 10 should be normal operation with varying speeds but no more than 5 minutes at full throttle. I can't get it to full throttle.

2. Member
    I'd find somewhere you can run it hard to make sure the rings get seated
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    I followed break-in procedure to a T, which is questionable to begin with. Still made oil until I ran it wide open for a couple hrs with little idle time in between. Run it hard.

4. Member
    I followed the manua"s break in procedure on my new 225HO when I bought it new in 2017. It "made" oil until it threw a rod through the crankcase at 300 hours, one day after the Yamaha dealer performed the 300 hour service. Yamaha replaced the powerhead under warranty. I broke the new powerhead in under the internet "run it like you stole it" method (I ran it hard after the first 30 minutes of low speed operation), and now have over 400 hours on the new powerhead. It has NEVER "made" a drop of oil, and has performed flawlessly.

It is up to you, but if I ever have another new 4.2 SHO, I can guarantee you that if will be broken in hard!!!!!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7y28 View Post
    I followed the manua"s break in procedure on my new 225HO when I bought it new in 2017. It "made" oil until it threw a rod through the crankcase at 300 hours, one day after the Yamaha dealer performed the 300 hour service. Yamaha replaced the powerhead under warranty. I broke the new powerhead in under the internet "run it like you stole it" method (I ran it hard after the first 30 minutes of low speed operation), and now have over 400 hours on the new powerhead. It has NEVER "made" a drop of oil, and has performed flawlessly.

It is up to you, but if I ever have another new 4.2 SHO, I can guarantee you that if will be broken in hard!!!!!!!
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ Yamaha's method is the WORST thing you could do. Idle a new engine for 2 hours, are you kidding!! RUN the dang thing. Mecurys procedure is way better. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    You definitely need to go to a lake where you can run it or go early. Mine made oil up till hour 10 following procedure recommended. I changed the oil and took it for a 56 mile run at 4800-6000 and it never made oil again.

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I had a Yamaha Engineer tell me in 2011 when I got my first SHO to run the crap out of it and let the engine create some heat.

8. Member
    I followed the Yamaha BREAK IN procedure on my new VF250 SHO and it made oil. When I got a new VF250 SHO I used the Mercury 4 stroke break in procedure and did not make any oil at all!

9. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I took it to the Mississippi River and ran it hard. I maxed out at 5500 RPM and holy mackerel it was flying. 76 MPH at 5500! Yikes it is fast.

10. Member
    I sure wish these motors would make gas rather than oil...
    HA!
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate