2019 250 Pro XS 4S motor mounts

S/N 2B571507. Not sure whats going on but leaving a weedy setback yesterday, idled into clean water, put it in reverse to clear weeds, put it in forward to take off and felt a clunk out of engine as I was accelerating. Stopped and did same deal, reverse then forward and same clunk coming from engine upon acceleration. Stopped again but this time didn't put it in reverse and no clunk during acceleration. Stopped again, reverses, then forward and clunk happened. Headed back to ramp, took it home, checked all jackplate and transom mounting hardware and all was tight. Checked prop, hub and all was good there too. Pretty solid clunk coming from motor, did I finally break a internal engine mount? Anybody know how the procedure to check for a broken mount? Could it be that its not going all the way into forward when leaving reverse??
    Last edited by fuelleak; 06-06-2022 at 02:08 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unlikely that it's not shifting all the way into gear- there are dual sensors in the ESC (actuator) that would identify that.

Have you checked the engine to jackplate, jackplate, boat to jackplate, and steering hardware for anything that is not properly torqued to specification?

Verified gearcase mounting hardware (especially bolt under the anode plate) is torqued to specs?

For mount problems- it's usually easiest to identify this with the trim "just off" the short rams. Rocking the trim up and down at this point will usually result in substantial movement of the midsection/powerhead when a mount is broken.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don, did all the tightening of the hardware you specified. All is tight including anode bolt. Dont find the movement you asked to try. Changed the lower unit oil again and it seemed to have cured itself. Definitely a weirdo. If it returns, Ill post it. Thanks for your time.

i dont want to alarm you, BUT...on my first 4 stroke (2019 production year, with the 3 inlet holes on side of lower) thats exactly what mine did about 2 trips before the lower unit started knocking and had to be replaced under warranty...they replaced it with the newer lower unit with the 5 holes(only way i can tell a difference) and no issues since after another 120 hours on outboard.
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8