Thread: Kill Switches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kill Switches

I’ve had this thought for a long time,what’s your thoughts ???
    Why not build kill switches into the drivers seat similar to lawn mowers ?
    Even some of our heavy equipment are fixed to lose some power or hesitate in dangerous situations ???
    Theres way to many fatalities nowadays because of no life jackets or kill switches being used

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Bouncing off the seat in rough water would result in loss of steering or bow lift. Not a good thing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I keep thinking we need a better kill switch system vs the standard mercury one. You fart on that thing and it kills the engine
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Bouncing off the seat in rough water would result in loss of steering or bow lift. Not a good thing.
    Correct!

5. Member
    Honestly I never wore a pfd (when not required) or tied off to the switch until a guy in our club got tossed with no pfd and no kill switch. Only reason he's still alive is he was tossed by a residents dock and they swam out to save him. I'm religious about safety now.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I keep thinking we need a better kill switch system vs the standard mercury one. You fart on that thing and it kills the engine
    I’ve owned my boat since 2001 and the only times I’ve had the kill switch activate were when I stood up to do something. Never thought it was close to too sensitive.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

heck even yard tractors it hit a bump and the ignition would go off for a few seconds. gotta be hard on a motor.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    In Louisiana, kill switches must be used on tiller outboards or you get fined if caught. I’m not sure about standard, console boats. That being said, still tons of folks boating with no PFD or kill switches attached. Crazy! I’ve always worn mine anytime the big motor is cranked-even when loading/unloading.

9. #FRB
    I’ve owned my boat since 2001 and the only times I’ve had the kill switch activate were when I stood up to do something. Never thought it was close to too sensitive.
    Depends on how close the switch is to your thigh. I've tripped mine a couple times when sitting down in the seat.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Honestly I never wore a pfd (when not required) or tied off to the switch until a guy in our club got tossed with no pfd and no kill switch. Only reason he's still alive is he was tossed by a residents dock and they swam out to save him. I'm religious about safety now.
    If I am on a very small lake were I know there are no obstructions to hit, or big waves, I'll skip on wearing a PFD. But on the upper Mississippi, that thing is on before my butt touches a seat.
    Fish have fins, they swim

11. Member
    I’ve killed mine while running with my leg a few times, also nearly any time you attempt to leave it hooked up to the life jacked when putting it on. I just don’t understand why they don’t make it more like a snowmobile or jet ski style switch where it actually takes a little force to kill it.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I’ve killed mine while running with my leg a few times, also nearly any time you attempt to leave it hooked up to the life jacked when putting it on. I just don’t understand why they don’t make it more like a snowmobile or jet ski style switch where it actually takes a little force to kill it.
    I liked the old Yamaha and OMC switches.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    We complain about everybody else ignoring the rules and doing whatever they want. We should wear our PFD every time we enter a boat and attach the kill switch when we are driving. No exceptions or excuses.

Fell Marine Man Over-Board Wireless Cutoff Switch

https://buy.fellmarine.com/products/...epack-multifob
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

15. Member
    Sometimes I stand idling thru stump fields to see better, seat switch would not work.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Fell Marine Man Over-Board Wireless Cutoff Switch

https://buy.fellmarine.com/products/...epack-multifob
    Thanks for posting that, might have to install on my boat and I can quit crying about killing my motor.

17. Member
    I'd be happy with an attached wrist band
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

18. Member
    Please wear a PFD and hook up your kill switch. If not for you, do it for the ones who love you. Also have a solid plan for getting back into your boat if you fall out. We all think it can never happen to us until it does........ I took these things lightly and it would have cost me my life if someone had not come to my rescue.
    "Dedicated to Dad. He always had time to take me fishing." Jerry McKinnis

Wear a PFD and use the kill switch or not, makes no difference to me. I guarantee that every person that SAR have had to look for on the bottom of Champlain was not wearing a PFD.

I wear a PFD and hook up the kill switch when the big motor is on. I keep the PFD on when fishing if the lake is rough when fishing as I’m usually by myself.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Wear a PFD and use the kill switch or not, makes no difference to me. I guarantee that every person that SAR have had to look for on the bottom of Champlain was not wearing a PFD.

I wear a PFD and hook up the kill switch when the big motor is on. I keep the PFD on when fishing if the lake is rough when fishing as I’m usually by myself.
    You bring up another important point. For those that are "meh" on wearing your life jacket, our search and rescue squads spend a lot of time finding those bodies not wearing a life jacket. Do them a favor so they won't be spending hours searching for you when they could be doing rescue work. And, they won't have to deliver terrible news to your loved ones.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast