Thread: Kill Switches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    You may only need your PFD one time. Best to have the most day/night visible one available appropriate for your body weight. No inflatables! Use the kill switch. It's the law.
    https://coastguardnews.com/coast-gua...es/2021/03/10/

I spent 15 years on a volunteer water rescue team and trying to find someone in a styling profiling dark colored PFD even during daylight hours is tough. Almost impossible at night.

Bottom line is, anyone who operates the outboard on a BassBoat without wearing a PFD with a kill switch attached should be checked for diminished mental capacity. As in they’re an idiot. Anyone who’s a passenger in a boat that doesn’t demand that PFDs be worn, and a kill switch used, isn’t far behind them.
    I’ve known two different people, lifelong acquaintances, who died horrifically in separate boating accidents simply because they didn’t wear a kill switch. They both were wearing PFDs when they were thrown from their boats. They were both conscious and alert when their boats eventually circled back around and struck them. Both were tin boats with tiller style outboards. As I said, horrific is the only way to describe the scene, and how they died.
    Not wearing a kill switch, even to this day, seems to be a common occurrence among a lot of operators of smaller boats I see leaving the ramp.
    It’s hard to imagine the type of damage a high speed bassboat could cause if the driver was ejected with no kill switch attached. Yet, I typically see at least one or two large glass rigs leave the ramp with none of the occupants wearing a PFD. Beyond comprehension.

A PFD is like a parachute. If you need one, but don’t have it on, you’ll likely never need one again.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    You may only need your PFD one time. Best to have the most day/night visible one available appropriate for your body weight. No inflatables! Use the kill switch. It's the law.
    https://coastguardnews.com/coast-gua...es/2021/03/10/

I spent 15 years on a volunteer water rescue team and trying to find someone in a styling profiling dark colored PFD even during daylight hours is tough. Almost impossible at night.

All good advice. However, folks don't wear life jackets because they don't think they'll fall out, so why wear an uncomfortable and ugly life jacket? I'm for anything that makes people more likely to put it on and keep it on. USCG approved and properly maintained inflatables are more comfortable and sleeker looking.

Of course, the owner/driver of the boat is the key. As the Captain, set a good example and wear a pfd. The Captain is also legally empowered to require every pasenger wear one as well. If they refuse, no boat ride.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

4. Member
    What about a regular run-about? Like a 20 ft bowrider with an I/O.
    "Should they be checked for diminished mental capacity" if not wearing a pdf with a kill switch strap?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    "Should they be checked for diminished mental capacity" if not wearing a pdf with a kill switch strap?

Even more so.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    If the boat is equipped with a kill switch, and it’s not attached to the driver while under power, then Yes.
    The majority of pleasure boaters I observe on Hamilton never wear a PFD. Pontoons, wakeboard boats, bow riders, etc. That’s their choice, although not a smart one. But, at the very least the driver should have the kill switch attached to protect their passengers, and other boaters, if they’re ejected from the boat while under power.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Bottom line is, anyone who operates the outboard on a BassBoat without wearing a PFD with a kill switch attached should be checked for diminished mental capacity. As in they’re an idiot. Anyone who’s a passenger in a boat that doesn’t demand that PFDs be worn, and a kill switch used, isn’t far behind them.
    Well this is wrong. My mom had me tested. Furthermore, anyone with this strong of an opinion, on an issue upon which reasonable minds can differ, probably doesn't need to be tested-it's self proving.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

8. Member
    I had a customer that died at age 41 because his bass boat did not have a kill switch.Somehow he got thrown out of the boat and the boat came back and ran over him. I will not even crank the motor until my kill switch chord is around my arm.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I will not even crank the motor until my kill switch chord is around my arm.
    Belt loop for me.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

10. Banned
    Hot Foot instead?

11. Member
    I have my kill switch hooked up almost always. I sometimes forget for a few minutes. What I really want is something to stop the trolling motor if it's on autopilot and I go over the gunwale while fishing.
    2021 Gator Trax 21' Strike Series
    Mercury 250 ProXS #3B134663

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluzharp View Post
    I have my kill switch hooked up almost always. I sometimes forget for a few minutes. What I really want is something to stop the trolling motor if it's on autopilot and I go over the gunwale while fishing.
    51wF6IH8shL._AC_SX679_.jpg

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Hot Foot instead?
    Instead of what? A kill switch?
    The engine keeps running at idle in gear if you leave the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I’ve killed mine while running with my leg a few times, also nearly any time you attempt to leave it hooked up to the life jacked when putting it on. I just don’t understand why they don’t make it more like a snowmobile or jet ski style switch where it actually takes a little force to kill it.
    Mine takes far more pressure to trip.

15. Member
    Not a fan of a pressure switch. My wife and daughters are so light that they can't cut grass or operated the tractors. Every time they hit a bump the dam thing cuts the engine off.

I personally never had an issue with the current kill switch. Of course it only works when you connect it. You have to take personal responsibility to keep your self safe. I don't know maybe figure out how to put a stupid warning chime like they do for seat belts.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Not a fan of a pressure switch. My wife and daughters are so light that they can't cut grass or operated the tractors. Every time they hit a bump the dam thing cuts the engine off.

I personally never had an issue with the current kill switch. Of course it only works when you connect it. You have to take personal responsibility to keep your self safe. I don't know maybe figure out how to put a stupid warning chime like they do for seat belts.
    I remember the Suzuki 225 Exante motors from the early 90’s had a voice reminder to connect your kill switch whenever you cranked up. Not sure if I would want to hear that every time. It would be like “Bitchin’ Betty” in the F-18’s. I always have mine clipped to my PFD.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Fell Marine Man Over-Board Wireless Cutoff Switch

https://buy.fellmarine.com/products/...epack-multifob

This !!! We had to install these for our work boats... We're up and down a lot working nets, measuring fish, etc. The FOB/MOB deal makes it a lot easier and our crew will wear them... The regular tether (even though required by law) was previously rarely worn while working. This has been a very good alternative!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12