Thread: Birria Tacos

Birria Tacos

Followed this video except I used 3.5# of bone in rib to get some marrow flavor and I put my cast iron Dutch oven on my gas range simmered for 2.5 hours. I pulled all the meat out of the sauce and shredded it. Very damn good!!

Last edited by Cestratton; 06-06-2022 at 08:25 AM.

2. Moderator
    Man I have been wanting to do this one for awhile. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to get on it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Man I have been wanting to do this one for awhile. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to get on it.
    I could have used a chuck roast cut into chunks or boneless short ribs but like I said wanted the marrow from the bones to render. I simmered for 2.5 hours could have gone to 3 but I don't think it would have made a difference. One thing to try that I saw and really liked, buy some beef flavored Ramen noodles that come in the styrofoam cups, pour the hot liquid into the cup until it's full and let it cook the noodles stirring and busting up the noodles occasionally once the noodles are soft the liquid will have dropped to about 2/3 of the cup top the rest off with the shredded meat and oh my goodness!!

4. Member
    Try this. The Number 1 thing I miss about South Texas. Nobody anywhere else even knows what Carne Guisada is. Carne Guisada with Cheese taco is the best breakfast in the entire world

https://www.homesicktexan.com/carne-...-tex-mex-stew/

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Try this. The Number 1 thing I miss about South Texas. Nobody anywhere else even knows what Carne Guisada is. Carne Guisada with Cheese taco is the best breakfast in the entire world

https://www.homesicktexan.com/carne-...-tex-mex-stew/
    My wife has made it, been a couple of years. I totally forgot until I showed her your post and she reminded me. She's got a lava molcajete.

Make them almost every time my daughter comes home. I'll put the beef on the smoker for a couple of hours before cooking it down.

You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Do you need a fattier cut for these to come out well? Sirloin is on sale near me so I'm thinking about trying it with that.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    Do you need a fattier cut for these to come out well? Sirloin is on sale near me so I'm thinking about trying it with that.
    Not really may just a little longer to cook until tender
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

We used this recipe yesterday and it was fantastic. I needed more broth than the recipe initially called for. I think I used a bit too much salt so be careful with that. I cooked the meat in my Kamado Joe and then made batches of 6-8 tacos at a time on the Blackstone. Oh, we used block quesadilla cheese in the tacos and let it melt everything together.
    He/him
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

And the leftovers reheated in the air fryer are money!
    He/him
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

11. Member
    I got inspired by this thread and tried Hank Shaw’s venison birria recipe over the weekend. Let the roast cook for 8 hours and was fall apart tender. Definitely going to make it again, but I may use pre-made ingredients/seasonings to save some time. I hadn’t heard of this before, so I appreciate this getting posted.