Trick step hits bumper

I have a Ranger 521VX that I tow with a Toyota Tundra. I really love the step and would never be without it but…. When I take sharp turns my middle step hits the bumper. It has bent the right side of my bumper from the contact. I am thinking about having a fab shop cut the middle step off and rotate it 90deg so it sticks out the side instead of out of the front, or move it just a bit higher so I can make the bumper fit between the top and middle step when turning sharp. Anyone else have a dented bumper or come up with a solution?

I will go without a bumper before I go without the step. But it would be even better if it didn’t hit my truck.

A two to three inch longer ball mouth makes a huge difference . They also make a removal step version
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Go with a long reach hitch

4. Member
    Reese 80232 Hidden Hitch® Angle-Cut Class III Ball Mount - 16" x .75" x 2", 6000 lbs.

Less than 40.00 on Amazon.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. What a simple solution. My hitch’s sits pretty low and I use a zero drop ball mount otherwise I run into situations where I can not get my trailer jack to drop if the ground is uneven. I have a welding/trailer shop right by my house and I am sure I can get one made pretty easily.

I dont know about that 16". Most are around 6-7. I went with a 9 i believe and its a big change

7. Member
    I’m running a 13” hitch mount. It definitely helps

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ophy/BH20.html
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

8. Member
    I tow a Phoenix 919 with a Tundra standard length hitch and I am almost jack knife before it touches the bumper.

9. Member
    BJdx. Probably has something to do with the PHX trailer. Mine mounts to the winch tower (maybe they all do?). Or maybe I turn sharper, but I am not doing anything any different than what I have been doing over the last 30 years towing bass boats. I am not sure when it hits but at most of my launches I have to do a tight turn to get lined up properly with the ramp or parking... I don’t even notice when it hits I just know that my bumper is dented in and the plastic bumper cap gets popped up. The step takes it like a champ and I’m not loosing any sleep over the dented bumper but it can’t be good to put that stress on the trailer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    BJdx. Probably has something to do with the PHX trailer. Mine mounts to the winch tower (maybe they all do?). Or maybe I turn sharper, but I am not doing anything any different than what I have been doing over the last 30 years towing bass boats. I am not sure when it hits but at most of my launches I have to do a tight turn to get lined up properly with the ramp or parking... I don’t even notice when it hits I just know that my bumper is dented in and the plastic bumper cap gets popped up. The step takes it like a champ and I’m not loosing any sleep over the dented bumper but it can’t be good to put that stress on the trailer.
    With my last two trucks the phoenix trick step sends one step below, and one step above the bumper. They may be designed a touch differently to since they come welded to the winch mount instead of bolted on.

Depending on how the winch stand is angled can you lower or raise it (if bolted on) to to move it back a bit?
    Fish have fins, they swim

11. Member
    Ya. I tried adjusting but there is only a couple inches to work with.

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    My trick step lowest step hit my back end of my truck when I backed up and front wheel went into a weed covered draining ditch. It did over $1500 damage. The ditch was covered with high weeds and I did not see it. The ramp is gravel and very short and takes a tight turn…..ANYWAY, my solution was a longer mount. I went with the one below on Amazon for around $25. Solved my problem and worries about my steps hitting.
    CURT 45260 Class 3 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 1-Inch Hole, 2-In Drop, 3/4-Inch Rise

Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

13. Member
    My Tundra has the usual trailer step tattoos on the right side of the bumper and the tailgate. I opened my tailgate and it went right into the step.

14. Member
    2C5AB268-F2F6-4F81-9348-8D718D19B299.jpegWell. This takes care of it. But not very pretty. The orange didn’t help but I figured it will help from being a shin buster. I kinda think a dented bumper looks better than this 4 foot long ball mount.

I don’t understand why the companies that manufacture trailer steps don’t stay on the trailer tongue.
    I have a custom step on my RT188 trailer that attaches under the winch and it works great.

Nitro has been using this concept for years.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 06-21-2022 at 07:51 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    2C5AB268-F2F6-4F81-9348-8D718D19B299.jpegWell. This takes care of it. But not very pretty. The orange didn’t help but I figured it will help from being a shin buster. I kinda think a dented bumper looks better than this 4 foot long ball mount.
    Thats a little extreme. Like I mentioned most are around 7 inches. Even a 9-10inch one is a big different in how far you can turn

17. Member
    Easy solution. Get the cut off wheel out and cut a hole in the bumper for the step to fit into when you turn. When not towing just throw a magnetic bumper sticker over it

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin1 View Post
    Easy solution. Get the cut off wheel out and cut a hole in the bumper for the step to fit into when you turn. When not towing just throw a magnetic bumper sticker over it