Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody familiar with Kimber?

Had a stainless TLE years ago and liked it. I don't know if I fell for a salesman's pitch or what but I bought this stainless ultra carry ii. I have been considering a 3" 1911 lately, Kimber TLE was high on the list, and stopped by to look around, owner asked if I was interested in 40 and I said no. He tells me about on he keeps in the back because it's rare and he didn't want people wanting to touch it all day. It's in 40 and has Bomar style adjustable sights. I think I'm having buyers remorse mainly due to caliber as I've since read that 40 dosent run well in 1911 and magazine availability might be an issue. Anyone have any insights on this one?

20220603_171936.jpg
    20220603_171956.jpg

I think there are better options from what I was told last year while we were looking at guns for my wife. We were told by every gun store we went to there were better options and not a single person recommended a Kimber. I really liked the looks and feel of them but finally decided to look at other options after hearing the same thing over and over.

They may be great, I’m just saying what we are told. They all said for the price of a Kimber there were much better options. They all said they had to be kept very clean or would malfunction also.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I think there are better options from what I was told last year while we were looking at guns for my wife. We were told by every gun store we went to there were better options and not a single person recommended a Kimber. I really liked the looks and feel of them but finally decided to look at other options after hearing the same thing over and over.

They may be great, I’m just saying what we are told. They all said for the price of a Kimber there were much better options. They all said they had to be kept very clean or would malfunction also.
    This one I bought is circa early to mid 2000's, it's an anomaly because it's a 40 S&W plus the Bomar style adjustable rear sights on an Ultra. Monday I'm going to call Kimber with the serial number and see if I can get an original build spec. They made 40 back then but don't anymore, the sights are the rarity so I'm curious if it came that way or was cut for the sights.

4. Member
    Since u have it - I’d shoot it and see how it does. If u like it - there u go. Odds are it will run fine and be reliable I’ve bought few guns that I liked at store but disliked once I shot it. Dislike it- sell or trade in .

5. Member
    I have owned a Kimber Crimson Trace 1911 in 45 ACP and liked it other than it not having checkering on the front strap of the grip.

A side note Kimber has moved manufacturing of their pistols from New York to Troy, Alabama because of a friendlier business environment for firearms manufacturers.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    This one I bought is circa early to mid 2000's, it's an anomaly because it's a 40 S&W plus the Bomar style adjustable rear sights on an Ultra. Monday I'm going to call Kimber with the serial number and see if I can get an original build spec. They made 40 back then but don't anymore, the sights are the rarity so I'm curious if it came that way or was cut for the sights.
    Sounds like a vey nice gun. I really liked the Kimber’s when we were looking at them and definitely would have bought one initially until we were talked out of it. But, these were new guns last year, so completely different. I still like the new ones, they felt great and I really liked the size. Hope you enjoy it!

7. Member
    Never had any issues with any of our Kimbers. Just need to shoot the heavier grains. As for Kimber moving,, they are really still behind. Took 10 months to get my 22 conversion barrel for a 45.. For the mags, there are other brands that will fit. If you call, ask for a shipping date. Another thing of shops showing you a different brand is the % they are making over the Kimber.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Sounds like a vey nice gun. I really liked the Kimber’s when we were looking at them and definitely would have bought one initially until we were talked out of it. But, these were new guns last year, so completely different. I still like the new ones, they felt great and I really liked the size. Hope you enjoy it!
    I had a full size Kimber stainless TLE as my first 1911 arond 2006 that was a bad purchase decision because I was in college and had no business buying a $1,000 gun but I loved it. Unfortunately I had to sell it. In January I bought the new Springfield Operator and it's sweet!! Been interested in a 3" 45 model lately and really just went in to window shop but bought this on an impulse.

9. Member
    3” 1911s do not operate as a control feed firearm as JMB intended and it is not unheard of for some of them to be un reliable but there are plenty that run just fine.

As for kimber their revolvers are excellent. I know 3 people that bought kimber 1911s. One is a big fan and has had several that were excellent shooters. Another friend bought one and really liked it and bought another that was a jam o matic POS. The third friend bought one and the bad issues with the finish coming off. IMO they do make some good guns but they are overhyped and over marketed and for the money there are better choices but many of the guns they produce can be hit or miss with many of them being pretty good.

As for the 40 I am surprised that their was not more of them produced but my opinion that is shared with many others there is only one cartridge that a 1911 should be chambered in and it starts with 4 and ends in 5.

I went with SA for a 1911,after hearing way too many Kimber horror stories

11. Member
    Big fan of Kimber, especially the Pro Carry, Ultra Carry and Target models in 45. BUT, in 45 only. I have no use for 40 caliber in anything. 40 being a high pressure round (approximately 30% higher than the 45) is in no way ballistically superior but is much harder on equipment making things much less reliable.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    Big fan of Kimber, especially the Pro Carry, Ultra Carry and Target models in 45. BUT, in 45 only. I have no use for 40 caliber in anything. 40 being a high pressure round (approximately 30% higher than the 45) is in no way ballistically superior but is much harder on equipment making things much less reliable.
    Honestly neither do I and have been contemplating getting a 3" in 45 but fell for the "rarity" pitch and bought it spontaneously.

13. Member
    Called Kimber, production date was 4/04 and it did NOT come with those sights from the factory so guess she's not as rare as I was told.

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I have owned a Kimber Crimson Trace 1911 in 45 ACP and liked it other than it not having checkering on the front strap of the grip.

A side note Kimber has moved manufacturing of their pistols from New York to Troy, Alabama because of a friendlier business environment for firearms manufacturers.
    I have that gun also, I like it other than the grip is failing.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    3” 1911s do not operate as a control feed firearm as JMB intended and it is not unheard of for some of them to be un reliable but there are plenty that run just fine.

As for kimber their revolvers are excellent. I know 3 people that bought kimber 1911s. One is a big fan and has had several that were excellent shooters. Another friend bought one and really liked it and bought another that was a jam o matic POS. The third friend bought one and the bad issues with the finish coming off. IMO they do make some good guns but they are overhyped and over marketed and for the money there are better choices but many of the guns they produce can be hit or miss with many of them being pretty good.

As for the 40 I am surprised that their was not more of them produced but my opinion that is shared with many others there is only one cartridge that a 1911 should be chambered in and it starts with 4 and ends in 5.

In my experience this kinda sums it up as far as Kimber goes……
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    My current Kimber shoots pretty well and ZERO issues. It points good for me but only with the Mag extender - Kimber Micro 9. (1911 style). IMO the carry models are a bit big I prefer subcompact.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    Most of the people blaming the gun are shooting light grain ammo. If I remember correctly, in the owners book it says to shoot 230 grains in the 45. Out of 8 people that I know has the 1911 and with no issues. The 9mil you have to be very cautious reinstalling the slide after cleaning, and not slide it too far back. The hard stop on the bottom of the barrel will drop into the mag chamber and lock. Then you have to remove the trigger assembly to get the barrel out. Watch that little half moon your suppose to look for and don't slide it back any further. Never had this issue with the 1911's. Just a heads up for anyone with the 9mm

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    I bought a SA Operator back around January, love it!!

19. Member
    Well I unloaded the Kimber for an H&K P30sk

20220630_151818.jpg

Delete
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast